Suunto D4 color replacement strap . Do they fail at the same rate of original ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterLloyd,

All of the D4 / D4i straps have been re-designed, and are now made from a much more durable material.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Aloha Chris!
I have some concerns about my new D4i watch: I bought this watch as a replacement for my Mosquito. I love the Mosquito and used it often. At some point it would not go into to dive mode anymore and after sending it in for repair, I was told it could not be fixed and unlike Oceanic, Suunto did not offer any trade-in option. After a long investigation, I decided on the D4i as a replacement over the Oceanic Geo2. Mainly because of the size. I am female and I have a small wrist, so I wanted something small and comfortable that i could also wear as a watch while traveling. I just received my new D4i and I a VERY disappointed in the strap. It seems flimsy compared to the weight of the watch. I am very concerned I could lose it by the plastic strap breaking. It is also big for my wrist. I called Suunto and was told they do not make any other style that I could replace it with for the D4i. This is disappointing. I have not decided to keep watch. i will continue through weekend to look for a replacement strap. But this is a deal breaker for me. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated?
Are the color straps made differently than the black strap?
Where could i order the color straps if so?
Hope you don't mind me asking. Found you on ScubaBoard and you sound like you are in the know :wink:
Thanks for your time Chris!

You would think the last thing you would need to worry about in the 21s century when buying a dive computer was the strap breaking or having problems with the strap screws.

usdiver97,

I apologize for the late reply, I have been away for the past few days. All of the new "i" series computers all come with the newly designed straps. They are made of a much more durable elastomer. I would not worry about the strap breaking. I am sure you have seen many posts regarding the D4 straps. Majority of them were in regards to the old straps. Also, there are divers that abuse gear and any strap will only withstand so much. As far as the size, every D4i strap black and colored are all the same size. The black straps and the colored straps are both going to have the same amount of durability. You should be able to purchase a colored strap from your local dealer. If you are unable to do so, please let me know and I will provide another option for you.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

FWIW, I have the D4i, bought it the day it came out, 2 or 3 years ago, and have had ZERO ISSUES with the strap. Hundreds of dives, thousands of miles, and no issues with the strap, the watch or the transmitter.

Chris@suntoo,

My 2nd set of D4 strap broke again. I went to your suntoo.com US site and I could not locate a the D4 strap. Can you provide me with online sellers in the US? Would prefer to purchase from the US since the local seller here does not have the color I want and I want to make sure that I get the new durable one. Last strap was purchased thru Leisure pro. Thanks.

Mie_2_2,

You can locate either a Suunto service center or Dealer from the link provided. The service centers will have the most to date and largest inventory. Suunto Dealer Locator

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Mahalo Chris!
First-thanks so much for your reply. :) I am heading for The Big Island tomorrow. Jack's dive locker is suppose to have the color strap. I just hope its made different than the black strap that came with watch. Maybe its just me, but it seems a bit flimsy for the weight of the watch and that makes me nervous. I was unaware of the complaints of the d4 strap. I purchased my watch on Amazon, from a company call Dexclusive. It is a D4i, but any chance it could have come with the old style strap?
Again, I loved my Mosquito. I was thinking my new computer would come with a similar strap. :(
I will check out the color straps and see!
Thanks again for your time!
aloha, Rita

d
usdiver97,

I apologize for the late reply, I have been away for the past few days. All of the new "i" series computers all come with the newly designed straps. They are made of a much more durable elastomer. I would not worry about the strap breaking. I am sure you have seen many posts regarding the D4 straps. Majority of them were in regards to the old straps. Also, there are divers that abuse gear and any strap will only withstand so much. As far as the size, every D4i strap black and colored are all the same size. The black straps and the colored straps are both going to have the same amount of durability. You should be able to purchase a colored strap from your local dealer. If you are unable to do so, please let me know and I will provide another option for you.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Hi Chris,

One of mine Suunto D4 battery cover screw came off during my daily wear.

I called my local service center in Singapore but they do not have stock for it. Can you advise any alternative screw to be used ?

Thanks

Aloha Chris,
JUST a quick update on my D4i strap. I purchased a color strap for my D4i and YES it is made of a different material and as others has mentioned, it takes the clunkiness out of wearing the watch. I LOVE IT! Im sporting the White and Black strap. :wink: BUT, I am very disappointed that i had to buy a new strap on a brand new computer. The cost was $60.00. In addition, the tech at Jack's mentioned that when changing the strap, they noticed that one of the screws holding the original band,was already stripped! I am glad I chose to do this before I went diving.
Before i call and blast Suunto, would you be so kind as to confirm that the D4i SHOULD come with the new style strap? I would like to work the original strap through warranty if possible.
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!!!
Aloha, Rita

Good luck with Suunto. It has been my experience to go with a company that stands behind their product with quality & customer service. Has anyone notice how many threads relate to problems with Suunto dive computers & support, compared to other manufacturers?

Dive safe,Have fun!
KT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom