Hello, and a question on BP/W and diving in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

odriscda

New
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post since joining the forum, however a long time reader.

I have read a great deal on BP/W set-ups, and I am finding it a little difficult to decide?

This is my situation, I were a 3/2mm full wetsuit, 3mm booties and with my current BC using steel 12lt single tank I require about 4 - 5kg in lead. (only dived in Japan in the summer so far)

I move to Thailand soon so will be diving tropical water, and considering a BP/W set-up. Assuming I stick with my current wetsuit, and booties, but use AL80 single tank, will an aluminium BP with 25# wing have my floating like a cork, or will a SS BP have me sink like a rock?

My concern is, is an aluminium BP with aluminium single tank too light, requiring alot of lead? Am I best with SS BP as travel weight is of no concern, but I fear I will be to heavy in the water?

Any advice on my situation greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Hey mate,

If you are currently having to wear 4-5kg with a steely then I'd go with a ss bp/w. yoi wont be too heavy and it would cut down on the weight you would have to wear on your belt. Add a steel tank and you'd be close to carrying no weight at all. I bought a ally bp/w but i do wish id bought a ss.
Cheers
Mike

Get the aluminum plate if you're worried. If you need weight, add a belt or a pocket on a cam band.

Personally I'd buy the steel plate (I did, actually). The weight difference of a couple pounds isn't too hard to overcome. Better a little heavy than a little light, in my opinion.

You will be fine with a SS BP. I have dove mine everywhere from drysuits in Washington state, to Guam dives in the 84 degree bath water and have never been over weighted. Depending on where you wind up I drop to only 1 kilo and I am a little over weighted in skin in Guam with a SS. I think that if you are sticking to a single tank then a SS is the way to go.

Okay, Dan, let's start with what you've got now:
1) You mention your exposure protection but not what sort of BCD you're currently using. Can we assume it's a jacket style with a plastic mount for the tank?
2) You also say that you are carrying 4-5 kg.
3) A stainless steel backplate weighs 2.7 kg, so it's doubtful that this will make you overweighted, and you may still have to carry a bit on a weightbelt. Because jacket BCDs trap a bit more air than most wings do, you may not need much more, but be prepared to add one or two kg as long as you continue to dive with the standard alu tanks we have here.
4) Now if you end up ditching your 3mm full suit and diving in board shorts and a rash guard here, you probably would be able to dive with just the backplate and no additional weight. If you happen to get a steel tank, you'll be quite negative.
5) If you opt for the alu backplate, it will weigh only about 1 kg., so you'll have to put more weight on the belt unless you dive with a steel tank.

As Quero said, the differnce is 2.7kg vs 1kg. If you are perfectly weighted with AL, SS only make you 1.7kg over weighted. Not ideal, but shouldn't make much of differences. If you are perfectly weighted with SS, you will only need 1.7kg of weight belt. It is very easy to handle.

I like AL foor 3mm wetsuit diving because I want to a couple of lb to move around for better trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom