Where do you live and dive? What kind of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haleye97

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Where do you live and dive?
Is it close to your house?
Anything special required to dive there?
What kind of diving is it?

I'm stuck on Hawaii diving and longing to be there, but I have heard here are other very good dive spots around the mainland U.S.

I live basically in downtown Seattle (Capitol Hill) and mostly dive locally. I can be at Cove 2 (our local "mud hole") in about 15 minutes drive if there's no traffic or to a variety of other shore diving sites (no need to charter a boat) within an hour. It is cold water diving (42F-51F depending on the season) which means you do need a drysuit (thick wetsuits are an option but few serious local divers use them). It's also green water without amazing visibility but we do have an abundance of life (including our star attraction the Giant Pacific Octopus among other life) and rarely do conditions get so bad that you can't dive anywhere. There aren't many other places in this country with such abundant shore diving so close to such a large city/metropolitan area.

I live in Taipei, Taiwan. By strapping my gear to the back of my 125cc motorcycle, I can find my way out to the coast within two hours. Local (northern) diving is fair, we never know what we'll find out there, and we can dive it 12 months a year with the appropriate thermal protection. Perfect for keeping skills fresh.

I try to make it down south at least annually, and abroad twice a year. There is some incredible diving throughout Asia, and I consider myself fortunate to be able to access it readily enough when I have the $$$ and leave from work.

I live in southwestern KY, relatively land-locked like you. I dive locally at a quarry site, Pennyroyal Blue Spring Resort.

It's quite a drive to Dale Hollow Lake, where a group I dive with sometimes dives & I went once & might go again.

I've been to Bonaire 7 times, and done a smattering of dives elsewhere around the Carribean on cruise vacations.

I'm hoping to fly down to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, rent a car & drive down for a week on Key Largo of the Florida Keys, diving many fairly shallow high-viz. warm water reef sites. This plan factors in family coming along, and the desire to avoid taking an infant outside the U.S.

I also hope to someday hit West Palm Beach & catch some charter boat diving to local areas such as Jupiter, too see sharks & goliath grouper.

Plenty of people do charter boat trips to wrecks off coastal North Carolina to see sand tiger sharks; I'd like to do that someday. A lot of it's pretty deep diving, but within recreational limits, and from what I understand nitrox would offer some bottom time advantages worth having.

Some northerners wreck dive in the Great Lakes, from what I understand, but that is some cold water diving.

My point is, U.S. diving & divers are diverse. A lot of people enjoy local diving, whatever that is, to some extent, but mix it up with some 'cram a bunch of dives in' tropical vacations to places like Bonaire, Cozumel, Roatan, etc...

Richard.

I live,dive,and play in Alona Beach,Panglao,Bohol,Philippines. A beautiful island just the right size for laying back and enjoying life. SPOILED...
Dive safe,Have fun!
KT

I live and dive in Florida. Orlando is 3 hours from west palm or if I want to do a local dive I have many springs to choose from, if I want to soil myself I'll do a 5 hour trip to the keys. It really doesn't get better than this!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Where do you live and dive?
Is it close to your house?
Anything special required to dive there?
What kind of diving is it?

I'm stuck on Hawaii diving and longing to be there, but I have heard here are other very good dive spots around the mainland U.S.

Where do you live and dive? Live in Texas, dive mostly in the Caribbean and in a few lakes around the state
Is it close to your house? Yes and No
Anything special required to dive there? No
What kind of diving is it? Recreational diving in warm water from a boat or from shore

Live in Germany (Bavaria). Dive year round in the lakes. Some are 15 minutes And some are 2 hours from me. I think a dry-suit is needed to enjoy the lakes in the winter!

No matter where you are, you will meet divers and find great dive spots. They may not all be tropical but diving is lobar and not just in the oceans. Even in land locked Bavaria I find the places and the time to get underwater.

I live in the UK (greater London area), and i dive year round (drysuit). I prefer to get into the sea, and my favorite dives are wrecks. The sea is anywhere from 1 hour away to 12+hours away (Scapa. haven't been there yet, but it is on my wish list of places to go). If we're blown out and can't get into the sea, or if I don't have all day to dive, I head to the quarries and lakes in the area. Closest one is about 20 minutes away. There are probably another 6 or so within a 2 hours drive. If I can't get to the sea and have to quarry bash, my favorite one is about a 2 hours drive away.

Back
Top Bottom