Need advice on cell phone use in GC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another great app I use is the ATT Call International APP, you do not have to have ATT cell service to use.

You setup an account with a credit card on your mobile, requires WiFi for only .19/minute.

Introducing AT&T Call International

Screen shot 2013-07-13 at 8.00.25 AM.png

Have a blast in Cayman!

We bought a Lime Sim Card at the LIME store for $5.00. I had two old AT&T smart phones. I called AT&T and they gave me the unlock codes for both of them. Unlocked them both and put the LIME sim in one phone and bought $20.00 of time. Pay as you need more time. You can add money (minutes) online. It also works with a non smart phone. We dive the Caymans 3-5 times a year so it works great for us.

Pay as you go plan is great. Calling the US from there on a LIME phone is very inexpensive. $20.00 goes a long way.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I'm probably going to go with the buy a cheap phone approach since (a) I don't have an old phone that I can get unlocked and (b) I will need to be reachable (and able to reach others) even when I'm not in wi-fi range.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I'm probably going to go with the buy a cheap phone approach since (a) I don't have an old phone that I can get unlocked and (b) I will need to be reachable (and able to reach others) even when I'm not in wi-fi range.

Either Digicell or Lime offer the same pay as you go plans.They may offer different phones that's about the only difference I have seen.

We use T-Mobile pre-paid accounts in the U.S., and roaming doesn't work with them in the Caymans. I'd really like to find a way to keep in touch with family members if/when we separate on vacation.

We've got old Nokia "dumb phones" that are GSM tri-band (work in Europe and the U.S.), and they take SIMM cards. Sounds like buying Lime or Digicel pre-paid SIMM cards would be ideal.

Someone said the pre-paid cards are available at the airport? How about at large supermarkets like Fosters or Kirk?

Any issues for non-residents? (When I was in Germany a few years ago, I couldn't buy a pre-paid T-Mobile card there unless I was a resident. Well, not without a lot of sweet-talking.)

And I'm looking at the web sites; and while I see the per-minute costs, I can't seem to find how much a starter pre-paid kit would cost (SIMM card and starter minutes)...

Last edited:
We use T-Mobile pre-paid accounts in the U.S., and roaming doesn't work with them in the Caymans. I'd really like to find a way to keep in touch with family members if/when we separate on vacation.

We've got old Nokia "dumb phones" that are GSM tri-band (work in Europe and the U.S.), and they take SIMM cards. Sounds like buying Lime or Digicel pre-paid SIMM cards would be ideal.

Someone said the pre-paid cards are available at the airport? How about at large supermarkets like Fosters or Kirk?

Any issues for non-residents? (When I was in Germany a few years ago, I couldn't buy a pre-paid T-Mobile card there unless I was a resident. Well, not without a lot of sweet-talking.)

And I'm looking at the web sites; and while I see the per-minute costs, I can't seem to find how much a starter pre-paid kit would cost (SIMM card and starter minutes)...

There are no restrictions on buying a phone/sim card .There are Digicell and Lime stores throughout the island.Not sure on a startup kit.The supermarkets do not sell Sim cards.

The phone you have should work .

The supermarkets do not sell Sim cards.

Yeah, that kind of makes sense.

But ScubaBing wrote in Post #8 above that SIMM cards were available at the airport -- I assume pre-paid. That would be great, since we'd be splitting up right away after arriving and need phones immediately.

I see Digicel and Lime shop locations on their web sites, but nothing near the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom