Best Method for Rough Entries/Exits (Monastery, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Before I dove North Monastery a while ago, I read a lot up on the site, and it seemed like everyone had their own method for entry/exit. Waves weren't too high the day I went, so just walked in with fins on, waited until a wave hit my back, then swam out for all I was worth. For the exit I held my reg and mask in place, rode the waves until I hit the sand, then crawled.

But I'd feel a lot more confident, and reassured, if I knew what the actual best strategy is for rough entries and exits. I've heard some people say to keep your BC deflated during rough entries, to swim beneath the waves, and for the exit to also swim beneath the waves until you hit the sand, and then crawl out... but for some reason deflating the BC rubs me the wrong way, probably because it goes against the "BC inflated, reg in your mouth!" rule from open water classes.

I've also heard that riding the waves into the beach like I did is dangerous.

Please school a young grasshopper, oh Monterey Scuba Senseis :chinese:

I have never dove Monastery so my advice may not be as good as someone who dives there all the time and has seen it all at that particular site, but I have had my share of other beach dives with hard nasty breaks.

It depends somewhat on the beach. If the beach is a very gradual sandy slope and the break ends about chest high on me then I may opt to wade out just beyond the break and put fins on. Spring straps make a huge difference here as they are the easiest to put on so that means less time dilly dallying in the surf zone.
Exit at those sites would be in reverse order unless the surf kicked up during the dive then it's anyway you can get out without getting your hat handed to you.
At a steep site like Monastery where the break is right at the trench or dug out part, it may not work to wade out, you might fall off the edge and be in water over your head and get pounded. For this situation I like to put fins on and back step or side step as deep as I can get without falling, then I jump and spin at the same time landing on my belly and kick like hell. Reverse exit would be the crawl.
The reason some people say dump your air before you enter or exit is so that a wave won't pick up that big blown up BC with you in it and launch you.
If you are dense (no air spaces) then you won't catch buoyancy as easy and the water will go over you.
I saw a dude once trying to get out at Laguna when the surf was up and he had a full BC. He floated up to the top of a breaking wave and got SLAMMED! The lifeguard had to go out and get him. A few minutes later another dude comes in under the surf (probably the first guy's buddy). I didn't even know he was there till he was almost on the beach. He just crawled out on all fours no sweat. The waves were good 8 footers that day.

Then there are times when if you have any doubts at all and don't feel like battling surf, just call it a day and go out to breakfast instead. There will be plenty of better days.
Keep in mind there have been a number of people killed there.

Riding waves is a technique we use once in a while on the North Coast, but it's different from what you might think.
Most entry exits in exposed areas up here are rocky from bouldery to big automobile size rocks or shelves.
At the sites with big rocks, a technique to enter is to wait for the swell to rise right up to where you're standing (with full gear on ready to go) and flop in when swell peaks at it's height. Then kick like hell to get away from the rocks you just left and go out.
The exit would be in reverse where you let the wave or swell deposit you on the same or similar rock and then you scamper up to safety and get your fins off.
The timing is critical with this type of entry/exit.
This type of diving definitely takes some practice.

I look for calm coves now or dive off my kayak.
I'm getting to old for that crap.

Last edited:
Eric knows what he's talking about, North Coast divers know about interesting entrances and exits.

Even with the BC empty, you are positive on the surface if you are weighted correctly and finished your tank, one reason I put in a couple of extra pounds when the surfs up. Body surfing in is an option, BC empty, but be prepared to have your a** handed to you while learning your limits.

Bob
------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I don't dive Monastery regularly, but I can tell you that that is one site which should only be dived when it looks ridiculously calm. The combination of the sudden, sharp shore break with the composition of Monastery's particular sand is evil. Water that would be completely benign somewhere else can be difficult at Monastery.

You are probably going to get a flood of comments on here, but here is my input...
Monastery is a very steep beach that faces the incoming NW swells. The coarse grain sand "Monster Berries" are an indicator that the beach can get rockin. There are days, however, that Monastery may be flat when everywhere else is rough! It all depends on swell direction. There is a certain level of personal comfort you will gain through experience as to what you feel comfortable diving. Deciding not to dive is always a good decision! I dive Monastery frequently, On my own time, and with classes. Entering and exiting through the surf zone is all about timing. Generally, follow the last wave of the "set" in and the last wave of the set out. Often, your time between sets will be limited, but a small window can save you from being spit out by Poseidon! I like to enter and exit with my reg in mouth, and one hand on the weight belt. Exit always seems to be the challenging part. Since monastery is such a steep beach, you can get very close to the beach without being caught up in the wave break. I like to time it so that the last wave picks me up and places me (hopefully) on my feet on the beach. Sometimes this works out great, other times I get rolled. If you get rolled, just keep that reg in your mouth, and do the good ol' Monastery crawl :) Thats just my input on Monastery...Eric's post is good above. Good luck and safe diving

I've dived Monastery a few times. The two best pieces of advice I can give are exit at either end of the beach, staying clear of the middle of the cove. Also, if the surf is up, try the other side of the peninsula.

Define "rough entry." I can dive Monastery in anything up to about 6-8 footers, but I have experience there and we used to teach OW classes there. If it's really rough, and you just need to get your fix, go to the north side, enter near the daycare center and swim under the kelp. Big swells don't usually wreck the vis like they do at other sites because of the "monsterberries" and lack of true "sand."

If it's moderate, the usual tried and true method is to observe the wave sets and wait for the lull, then hurry up and get past the surf zone. Usually with your BC empty and fins on your wrists. When you're sure that you're out of the surf zone, sit on the bottom and put on your fins. Once you're near the water, NEVER, EVER take the reg out of your mouth. NEVER.

For exiting, again, time the wave sets, get negative and crawl out on all fours. Did I mention to NEVER take the reg out of your mouth? Another method that works is to walk backward up the beach, facing the wave sets so that you can see and anticipate any sneaker waves and hunker down. Continue backing up until you're on dry "sand," then reach down and take off your fins.

Entering and exiting at the extreme end of the south side makes it easier. Do the kelp crawl or swim under the kelp to start your dive.
Never enter or exit in the middle of the beach. There's nothing to see there anyway, and you'll be on the losing end of any angry waves.

Thanks for all the input! Entering with BC deflated does make a lot of sense. Didn't get to put any of the wisdom to use today, since South Monastery was as calm as my bathtub, but I feel better just knowing how to handle rough exits/entries in case if I ever get put into them.

My one piece of advice is: when crawling out, make a fist and crawl out on your knuckles. It raises your head a couple of inches and reduces the strain on your wrist.

Or buy a boat. I haven't had to crawl out for 15 years.

Chuck

I haven't had to crawl out for 15 years.

Chuck
The only time I ever have to crawl out is when it's too calm. I normally use the waves to lift me up and set me on the ledge, but if there are no waves and it's low tide...ugh. Somebody else mentioned using the waves for an assist. Realize that when a wave moves in at the slope, the force it exerts on you is to lift you with the wave and then push the top part of your body forward. If you can keep your feet moving forward so that you stay vertical, then this really will just plop you down at the top of the slope so you can walk out clean.

Back
Top Bottom