Tell me about a dive log.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haleye97

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I see that people track how many dives they do and I read someone's blog which had journals from their dives. So how do you keep your dive log? Any specifics on how it is supposed to be? I just did my first 4 dives in Maui and I wrote summaries of them and put pictures with them. I also numbered the summaries for each dive number.

For me, it's a way to track anything interesting or problems I've encountered during the dive. It is also a tool to show new operators (perhaps abroad) about your skill levels and pinnacle dives.

That being said. I know many people that make up dives on their logs so they meet the requirements for DM/Instructor class. Which is a big no no for me.

I log every dive in open water.

I log them in loose leaf PADI logbook pages and record:

Date/Time/Location Information
Dive Depth/Time/Pressure Groups
Environmental Info (Viz/Temp/Current)
Wetsuit/Drysuit/Hood/Glove/Boot Info
Tank Size/Material/Contents
Starting/Ending Time/Pressure
Calculated SAC Rate per dive
And notes for each dive.

These notes include new/different gear that I'm trying, specific skills that I'm working on. If I'm shooting photos, some of my shooting info (aperture/shutter speed info). If I'm exploring a new wreck I describe it and sometimes sketch a basic map.

But I also have higher hopes; I'm working towards my Divemaster, and one day plan to move into instruction. I also plan on continuing my education into Tec diving, where I need to show so many dives, so deep, with Nitrox, etc.

Therefore, I log almost all available information. Only thing I don't bother with? Buddy signatures.

It is up to you. Many people don't log their dives, they just dive for pleasure. So, the point is, log as much information as you want (or as little).

If you want to get certified as DM or instructor, you must meet a minimum required amount of dives before you can proceed with the course and training. Hence logging your dives is the only want to certify and demonstrate to the shop or IDC that you have met the min requirement. That said, the dives are usually certified/verified by the dive shop or scuba outfit with a signature or stamp to validate that you have actually done the dives as you have stated in your dive log.

Like other posters said, most recreation divers don't log dives.

But that said, I think for a new diver, logging dives is a great idea. It can serve as a chronology of an individual's progression as he/she gains more experience with more dives under his/her belt. Also, it can serve as a reminder of what area to improve and what skills to hone in for the next diving trip if you put down specific shortcoming of your dives.

When you go thru certification your instructor will explain what you need to log. And probably sell you a log book from your agency. Although any dive logbook will work. You'll need to have it signed off for future reference - some dive shops/boats may want to see it until you are more experienced. There's even phone apps now.

If you want to see the format - here's one you can download. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...75-free-dive-log-pages-download-pdf-here.html

One of the best I've ever seen was a woman's from Japan about 10 years ago. She captured all the required info on the top 1/3rd. of a standard logbook page with an open area on the bottom where she drew pictures of the fish or other interesting things she'd seen in amazingly good quality - like you see on fishcards. She carried a little kit with colored pencils in the case with her book.

That being said. I know many people that make up dives on their logs so they meet the requirements for DM/Instructor class. Which is a big no no for me.

Really?

I thought part of the requirement is for the dive shop or IDC to make sure that the candidates for DM or instructor can show proof of dives via a dive log and the dives in the dive log has to be verified with a signature or stamp from a DM/Instructor/Dive center.

Then again, I guess this does not surprise me after witnessing the loosey goosey operation of a lot of the dive ships and dive centers. The number is quite astounding.

I very diligently logged my first 250 dives on paper. I wrote little narratives about them, and listed what species I saw. The day I passed Fundies, I drew flowers all over the page.

Nowadays, I log on the computer, and although I try to write some description of each dive, most don't get much. The program I use would permit me to upload photographs, but I'm too lazy. I do log each and every cave dive, with all the details I can remember or collect. And I write more about the memorable ones.

The biggest purpose of a dive log that I've found, aside from entertainment, is being able to go back and say, "What exposure protection and tank did I dive here, and how much weight did I end up needing?"

There are no specifics on how its suppose to be - pretty much your personal preference. I think of it more as a diary than a log. I record the usual information and make notes on anything interesting. I also note equipment changes and any training. My objective is to be able to use it as a reference and refer back to it later on. Log what ever you think will be useful info in the future. When I first started I used a regular dive log book when I filled it up I switched over to an Excel spreadsheet - I like that much better.

Really?

I thought part of the requirement is for the dive shop or IDC to make sure that the candidates for DM or instructor can show proof of dives via a dive log and the dives in the dive log has to be verified with a signature or stamp from a DM/Instructor/Dive center.

Then again, I guess this does not surprise me after witnessing the loosey goosey operation of a lot of the dive ships and dive centers. The number is quite astounding.

Usually occurs in those guaranteed OW to DM/Instructor classes. The LDS endorses those dives, they get a faster turn over and hence more money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom