Dive shops for beginners in Chicago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metastasis_d

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Cross-posted from the New Divers forum
I've been lurking for a while and trying to find answers without posting, but I'm still not finding answers particularly geared towards my problem.

My girlfriend and I only have 6 dives under our belts, and we're having trouble finding places to dive when we travel around the States. We went to Keystone, Colorado a few weeks ago and couldn't find a place that did any guided dives. We're not really comfortable diving by ourselves yet since we're so new. The only places we've gone is to a lake in Southern Missouri for our open water certification (SSI) and a guided dive in the Galapagos earlier this Summer.

Honestly the Galapagos trip was our entire reason for getting into scuba diving but once we were in we fell in love with it. Still, it's kind of frustrating not being able to get some beginner-level dives unless we travel to far places that cater a lot towards tourists, or through certification groups.

I was wondering how divers really get into diving when they're still green behind the ears, but after they've done getting their initial certifications.

We are going on a houseboat trip in Arkansas in a couple months with the same dive shop where we got certified, and getting our Nitrox certification dives while we're there, but we're going to Chicago on the 16th for the Black Sabbath concert and would love to be able to finally get another dive in. There is an SSI shop in town that is doing an open water certification that weekend so I was thinking about emailing them and just asking if we could tag along, but I don't know if that's kind of unusual or frowned upon in the industry. Of course we'd be fine with paying boat fees and what not.

Does anybody know if there are any places I should look into specifically there in Chicago? Does anybody have any tips for super-noobs to get some dives in to get more comfortable until we're ready to just rent equipment and head out? Should I be posting this in the regional forums?

Thanks,
Nick

Hello, for beginners in Chicagoland area it is best to start at local quarries before heading out on the big lake. Most of the shops will be able to help you with a guided dive if you fit their schedule, that is when they are scheduled to be in a quarry. They might charge you a guide fee but it will be cheaper than a fee for a boat ride and you will more likely get more bottom time. Quarries in the area are: Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, Pearl lake near Rockford. If you will contact Chicagoland scuba (google them), they might be able to provide a guided dive opportunity in three oaks lake in Crystal Lake. Other option would be to contact Chicago scuba meetup (google is your friend) and see if they have any activity on the days that you are in the area. Most of the folks will be happy to show you around. Also post exact dates that you plan on diving, someone local might be open to meet you for a dive in one of the locations.

I'm just over the border in Wisconsin and I can't speak for the Chicago dive shops.

When my wife and I first got certified, we had the same reality check our first time diving in the Florida Keys. They explained that as OW divers, we were certified, and should be trained, to conduct our own dives. We did and we survived even it wasn't pretty. LOL

Google the dive shops in the area you'll be staying, and call them. Ask I they have any charters going out, and then ask specifically about the cost/possibility of hiring a dive master as a guide. They may have some DMs that do side work.

The quarries are good for basic dives and working on skills. Haigh Quarry and Pearl Lake have underwater attractions at various depths. The problem will most likely be reduced visibility if your not used to it.

Lake Michigan will have better visibility, but there's not much to see until you get in deeper water (60'-100'). Lake Michigan is also cold, so you'll need at least a 7mm wet suit with good and gloves. Once trained, a dry suit makes it much nicer.

Being new to diving, don't get task overloaded taking new courses. Just take the time to build on your basic skills first and enjoy the dives. Buoyancy control should be your top priority along with situational awareness and staying calm.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Big Kahuna Scuba in Grayslake, just outside of the city. One of the few shops that does "soups to nuts" rentals, they may also be able to hook you up with a staff member to dive with, (maybe even delivery to the dive site). There are a lot of options in the Chicago area, but starting off you will be hitting Pearl Lake or Haigh Quarry. Both are great facilities but honestly Haigh has great management and it layout gives it a good "divers feel".. As a new diver Lake Michigan dives may not be the best fit, most of the charters north of Chicago will have a 60+ foot dive and then a shallower one, would be recommended you get a little more time in the water..
www.bigkahunascuba.com
Or you can drop me a note I am out about every weekend..

The Chicago answer for your question is Haigh Quarry. Tina has rental gear and it is a regional dive training center. There will always be someone to join and usually some very experience divers that will welcome you with open arms. The Black Sabbath concert is, if Im correct, in Tinley Park, a south suburb of Chicago and about 30-40 minutes from Haigh. Tina has rental equipment and can completely set you up. That would be where I would start. A charter with Windy City Diving would be possible, Jim is very good with new divers. However, the lake can be an unsettling experience for new divers. I think Haigh is your best answer.

If I'm not in the Lake, I dive Haigh. If your interested in a local dive buddy- PM me- I have about 200 dives in Haigh and would be more than happy to join you for a local dive. An early welcome to Chicago, and enjoy the concert.

Hello, for beginners in Chicagoland area it is best to start at local quarries before heading out on the big lake. Most of the shops will be able to help you with a guided dive if you fit their schedule, that is when they are scheduled to be in a quarry. They might charge you a guide fee but it will be cheaper than a fee for a boat ride and you will more likely get more bottom time. Quarries in the area are: Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, Pearl lake near Rockford. If you will contact Chicagoland scuba (google them), they might be able to provide a guided dive opportunity in three oaks lake in Crystal Lake. Other option would be to contact Chicago scuba meetup (google is your friend) and see if they have any activity on the days that you are in the area. Most of the folks will be happy to show you around. Also post exact dates that you plan on diving, someone local might be open to meet you for a dive in one of the locations.
Thanks, I've got them on my list of contacts now and I'll send them an email. I think Haigh Quarry will probably be the likely candidate, being closest to Tinley.
I'm sure that Mike at DiveRightInScuba can steer you in the right direction.
Dive Right In Scuba | Plainfield scuba diving lessons and scuba equipment. We also provide scuba certification for the Chicago area.

And do keep asking on Scubaboard. Anywhere you travel there are local Scubaboarders who can hook you up. That's the magic of Scubaboard. :D
I've sent them an email; thanks!
I'm just over the border in Wisconsin and I can't speak for the Chicago dive shops.

When my wife and I first got certified, we had the same reality check our first time diving in the Florida Keys. They explained that as OW divers, we were certified, and should be trained, to conduct our own dives. We did and we survived even it wasn't pretty. LOL

Google the dive shops in the area you'll be staying, and call them. Ask I they have any charters going out, and then ask specifically about the cost/possibility of hiring a dive master as a guide. They may have some DMs that do side work.

The quarries are good for basic dives and working on skills. Haigh Quarry and Pearl Lake have underwater attractions at various depths. The problem will most likely be reduced visibility if your not used to it.

Lake Michigan will have better visibility, but there's not much to see until you get in deeper water (60'-100'). Lake Michigan is also cold, so you'll need at least a 7mm wet suit with good and gloves. Once trained, a dry suit makes it much nicer.

Being new to diving, don't get task overloaded taking new courses. Just take the time to build on your basic skills first and enjoy the dives. Buoyancy control should be your top priority along with situational awareness and staying calm.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction. ;-)
Getting used to low visibility is something we'll need to do anyway, so I think you're right that we might need to start out in one of these quarries.
Check out Big Kahuna Scuba in Grayslake, just outside of the city. One of the few shops that does "soups to nuts" rentals, they may also be able to hook you up with a staff member to dive with, (maybe even delivery to the dive site). There are a lot of options in the Chicago area, but starting off you will be hitting Pearl Lake or Haigh Quarry. Both are great facilities but honestly Haigh has great management and it layout gives it a good "divers feel".. As a new diver Lake Michigan dives may not be the best fit, most of the charters north of Chicago will have a 60+ foot dive and then a shallower one, would be recommended you get a little more time in the water..
www.bigkahunascuba.com
Or you can drop me a note I am out about every weekend..
Thanks for the link, I'll check them out as well.
The Chicago answer for your question is Haigh Quarry. Tina has rental gear and it is a regional dive training center. There will always be someone to join and usually some very experience divers that will welcome you with open arms. The Black Sabbath concert is, if Im correct, in Tinley Park, a south suburb of Chicago and about 30-40 minutes from Haigh. Tina has rental equipment and can completely set you up. That would be where I would start. A charter with Windy City Diving would be possible, Jim is very good with new divers. However, the lake can be an unsettling experience for new divers. I think Haigh is your best answer.

If I'm not in the Lake, I dive Haigh. If your interested in a local dive buddy- PM me- I have about 200 dives in Haigh and would be more than happy to join you for a local dive. An early welcome to Chicago, and enjoy the concert.
That seems to be the consensus, so I think Haigh Quarry will be the best fit for us. It would be great if you were diving there on the 17th and wouldn't mind showing a couple noobs the ropes; one of the reasons for joining this site was to try to find some dive buddies as my girlfriend and I don't really know anybody else who dives and who lives around us. I'll talk with her when she gets home this evening and we'll figure out our best options. Thanks!

I can dive Haigh on the 17th. I will be more than happy to show you our fine quarry. Also- if you have questions on gear you will need don't hesitate to ask. Look forward to the dive(s).

Hi Nick!

Don't settle on one shop, go check them all out :wink: I have guys going to Haigh all the time, and we always have charters on our boat on the lake www.drischarters.com ....so the time your in town is no problem. I responded to your email and look forward to talking to you on Monday on the phone. Have a great weekend!!!

I think we're going to rent gear at Haigh and go with Dan, but our instructor here in Missouri is very interested in going to Lake Michigan. I'll be sure to refer him to y'all and see if he wouldn't want to organize a trip in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom