Diving alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me the simplest way to put on my BCD & tank is to find something the right height, put the tank on it, then turn around and slip into the rig. After standing up, I adjust the buckles and straps.

When shore diving I normally gear up at my car and then proceed directly, without stopping, to the entry point. The lip of my car trunk is about the right height to set the tank/bcd to make it easy to get into. The end of most picnic benchis is an even better height.

Figuring out how to get into your gear is far, far down on the list of things you should be looking at before considering solo diving.

I have not gone without a buddy.

Diving solo is generally frowned on. Property owners, boat owners, captains, etc. generally require everyone be buddied.

That's what I do too charlie. I keep a spare rubber floor mat in the trunk to drape over the bumper so I don't scratch it up. I also have a front entry Drysuit.

Last edited:
DO any of you dive alone. IS it a no no. IF you do how to you get your rig on by yourself.

1.) I dive alone maybe 20% of the time, beginning in 1976. But the majority of my dives are with a buddy or buddies. Some of my all time favorite dives have been solo however.

2.) Many people do consider it a "no no".

3.) I get into my gear either using the overhead donning method, by setting it on the tailgate of my truck, a picnic table, etc. I prefer the overhead method.

You didn't ask the "how long until I'm ready to solo" question, but I'll answer that anyway: :D

4.) I began diving solo at age 18 in 1976, around 10 dives post OW certification. Basic OW back then was a bit "more" than today, and is more similar to combining Basic OW, AOW and Rescue (I learned many of the same skills, plus some that are no longer taught). So maybe with today's standard of training for Basic OW, you may want to do AOW and Rescue also, before deciding to solo? That's just a personal opinion that may or may not apply to everyone. I don't have any strong feelings for or against specific certification for solo. Just try to learn as much as you can either way, if you decide to solo.

As others have mentioned, solo diving is not something to "dive into" (pun intended) lightly. There are a lot of things to consider, and for me a minimum "am I ready to solo" point may be when you feel competent to lead other divers on a dive.

You'll know whe you are ready, but do a bit of "buddy" diving first.

Good luck, and stay safe.

Very well said LeadTurn_SD.
I agree with your statement "you will know when you are ready" I just knew when I was ready to dive alone and didn't think much of it.
I don't have the luxury of always having a buddy when I want to dive. I'm close to clear lakes, so I just go. My surface hobby is photography and I'd love to take it underwater. I can only imagine that unless I am shooting a human subject, I'd pretty much be alone anyways.

DO any of you dive alone. IS it a no no. IF you do how to you get your rig on by yourself.

Have dived solo for 51 years now. If you question whether you can get your rig on by yourself, I rather doubt you are ready to do it... especially with less than 50 dives.

I never tell anyone else they SHOULD dive solo unless I am very familiar with their capabilities. IMHO the most important thing you can assess in making this decision is how you react to unexpected emergency situations. If you tend to panic, don't solo. If you react with a cool head and think yourself through the problem safely, then maybe.

When I am in a new region (while doing international dive travel) with which I have no familiarity, I prefer diving with a buddy as the potential "hazards" may be unknown to me.

Did my 42nd solo dive yesterday. I just throw the bc and tank in the water and slip into it. I dive off my boat and there is a captain onboard looking out for me. When I've done it off a dive boat I get help from the crew and then just go do my own thing.

last beach dive i did was basically solo -- i had my own flag and everyone else except for 1 person were family trios -- the other "soloist" was a photographer. it was also in flat seas, great weather, and near perfect viz in less than 20 ft of water. i felt comfortable by myself and besides sightseeing, worked on basic skills such as compass & natural nav, and buoyancy. distance from shore was only about 100 yds.

Back
Top Bottom