How to travel with gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a trip to Raja Empat from Bali with all my camera and dive gear, I decided to wear my BCD to the cabin. I took the LPI and tank band off, puts lots of lenses in the pockets and just walked past security. The lady who was working there asked me: "what is this?". I said, "this? Jacket!", thinking that my next reply would be that this type of jacket is a new trend in Europe. The lady just rep lie: "ah, jacket!", and let me through. I got some bad looks while on the plane, but ended up with all my gear at my destination.
Not sure this would work with TSA though...

Many airlines allow one carry-on plus one small "personal item." If I'm traveling to the Caribbean, my "personal item" is my reg bag. Irreplaceable necessities as well as small but expensive items that easily could be pilfered by unscrupulous airport personnel if they were in checked baggage go in the carry-on, which for me is a medium-sized backpack. Most fins are too long for most carry-ons if you look at the airlines' size requirements, though it seems some people get away with it. So fins, BCD and wetsuit go into a checked bag, which for me is a dedicated roller dive bag (though not a brand marked with a scuba logo). Clothes get distributed between the checked bag and the carry-on.

I always use a scale to check the weight of the checked bag. It's usually right on the edge of having to pay an overweight baggage fee: 45-50 lbs. I've had to move items from the checked bag to the carry-on at the check-in counter a few times for small island hopper flights where the weight limit is lower.

Here's my list and never had a problem or overweight:

LL Bean Rolling Duffel (Checked)

BC
Fins, mask, booties, 1.5mil vest
Mesh Bag
Shave Kit (all the normal personal+ Basic First Aid + Pills(Headache, pain, sinus, etc))
2 Swim Trucks
4 or 5 Tshirts
3 Shorts
1 Drawers (for return trip or nice dinner)
1 Collared Shirt (for return trip or Nice Dinner)
Beach Towel, Clothes Pins
1 1lb bag (unopened) Trailmix
1 hat
1 Leatherman tool (usually in backpack but TSA rules and all)

Backpack (carry on) (I prefer to stow under seat instead of overhead so nothing huge here)

Laptop
Gopro, etc (softside bag)
Regs, Computer (softside Bag)
Tablet (for reading and crosswords)
Everyday stuff (30' Paracord, Flashlight, zipties, bandanas, various straps, Sharpie, Pen, alittle bit of TP in a ziploc, magnifying glass, compass,etc)

I wear a nice shirt going (for a total of 2) that can I can re wear if we're going out.
I like having camera and regs in softsides so they can be dumped in xray tray then repacked easily.
Flipflops for easy on/off through security.
HAVE YOUR PASSPORT/BOARDING PASS ACCESSIBLE AT ALL TIMES!

This seems to work well for me. I hate getting behind someone that doesn't seem to know whats going on in the airport...

Also, I'm never even close to weigh limits (38-42lbs) so sometimes traveling companions dump stuff in my bag.:idk:

I just check everything, except my camera. I've only flown a few times with dive gear, and not yet internationally with dive gear, but I've not had any problems with weight or space. Stainless steel backplate and 18#wing, a couple of small hand-held lights, an SMB, a couple of cutting devices, fins, regs and computer. My first trip was with a jacket BC and it was actually significantly harder to pack and weighed just as much.

I decide whether or not to check my camera (a point and shoot) based upon how much other non-diving junk I'm carrying on the plane already. It has not been a problem checking or carrying on so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom