San Nicolas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi SoCal Divers:

Would be interested in hearing about your experience diving San Nicolas. I have done some googling but there is very little information out there. I understand that it is rarely dived due to weather and navy, and I am wondering how it compares to some of the other Channel Islands, in particular San Miguel and San Clemente.

Thanks for any feedback.

Christophe

I wish I could tell you. I have yet to make a trip out there the last six years. Every trip that I was on got cancelled due to weather, and there weren't even that many trips scheduled in the first place - like twice a year or something.

I dove it once a long time ago. I remember it was somewhat unique which makes sense given where it is. It is a long ride out there, but I would go again. Enjoy and let us know what you think.

It's an animal in and of itself. I spent many years scuba diving Nic in the winter and free diving in the summer. The west end, boilers, hell hole, West Cove, the freeway, 7 fathom, and others were always great when we could get in. the alpha area is outstanding, the only problem being the Navy not wanting you to anchor there. On the east end, the sand spit, east end pinnacles, Daytona beach and Dutch harbor all have shallow areas that can be good. Three mile reef has a vertical wall that drops from 60 ft to about 200 ft vertically. All the west end outer sites are primarily sandstone, they have canyons and shelves that can be amazing. The only way to see these areas is to book a multiday trip with one of the boats that regularly go offshore. We do some trips to the area but more are booked right now with Truth Aquatics and the Peace. If you are looking to take a group, we can accommodate on a multi-day basis only.

Thanks all. Truth aquatics has a trip tentatively scheduled on the conception in November. I might try it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom