What PSI can you breath a tank down to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why?
LOL, what practical purpose does this information hold?

Since when does this matter for scubaboard discussions? :wink:

To answer the original question of how low can you breathe down a tank, I'd pose another question: how hard can you suck?

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 06:18 PM ----------

Well there is no doubt that I can't suck anything through the Titan reg un-attached

You mean with the dust cap off? You should be able to get something. The gizmo to seal the first stage when not pressurized would be like having the dust cap in place; you should get no air. Any ability to draw air in that scenario means you have A) a leak someplace or B) an alternate 2nd stage with a seat saver.

Since when does this matter for scubaboard discussions? :wink:

To answer the original question of how low can you breathe down a tank, I'd pose another question: how hard can you suck?

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 06:18 PM ----------

You mean with the dust cap off? You should be able to get something. The gizmo to seal the first stage when not pressurized would be like having the dust cap in place; you should get no air. Any ability to draw air in that scenario means you have A) a leak someplace or B) an alternate 2nd stage with a seat saver.

That reminds me of a quote; I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.
Name that movie for a gold star.

To understand how something performs at its edge limits is to appreciate its design...
Exactly, Thank you Maniago ;D !!!!!

That reminds me of a quote; I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.
FMJ?
I think it might be from there..

Ah ok got it. It does have an ACD on it, but I didn't recognize it as such. The ACD is spring loaded valve such that when you screw the reg into the tank, it compresses the spring and opens the ACD. Yes I can breath it with the ACD depressed - but its like sucking through a coffee stirrer - hard but doable, same as the un-balanced gear (obviously no ACD on that gear). So that means in both gear cases, as long as the tank is above ambient, something should be able to be drawn. Probably not a lot of practical help that low, but good to know that its not a feed pressure shut off. Thus as you head up, you should indeed regain some gulp of air as the tank volume re-expands. Good to know!

Thanks for all the help!

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 08:18 PM ----------

Debbie does Dallas. Can I type that here?:eyebrow:

The thing you should know.. which may be useful in an emergency is that, if you want to breath a tank down really, really low. It is better not to suck hard. When you suck hard and feel the restricted air flow, it is not a pleasant feeling. It has a tendency to induce panic or further rattle your composure. So you want to SIP the air, gently sip the last few breaths slowly, accept the low flow rate that is being delivered, just suck hard enough to open the valve. If your hands are free, a better, gentler, more comfortable method it to just press the purge and take the air that is delivered.

I did many, many dives in zero vis collecting golf balls where the visibility precluded the use of a pressure gage on some dives. You test for low air by sucking REALLy hard, and then when you feel a restriction at the end of the inhalation, you know you are getting low and you move on to the slow sipping inhalation and motivate toward an exit. This works better with an old crappy reg, rather than a high performance one.

The thing you should know.. which may be useful in an emergency is that, if you want to breath a tank down really, really low. It is better not to suck hard. When you suck hard and feel the restricted air flow, it is not a pleasant feeling. It has a tendency to induce panic or further rattle your composure. So you want to SIP the air, gently sip the last few breaths slowly, accept the low flow rate that is being delivered, just suck hard enough to open the valve. If your hands are free, a better, gentler, more comfortable method it to just press the purge and take the air that is delivered.

I did many, many dives in zero vis collecting golf balls where the visibility precluded the use of a pressure gage on some dives. You test for low air by sucking REALLy hard, and then when you feel a restriction at the end of the inhalation, you know you are getting low and you move on to the slow sipping inhalation and motivate toward an exit. This works better with an old crappy reg, rather than a high performance one.

Hitting the purge, nice idea. Probably won't remember that if the time comes, but its a "hey, that makes good sense"!

Have to practice the sipping on a Frosty!

Back
Top Bottom