Roatan - single female looking for a safe place

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main thing I was looking for is some place where I can take long walks on the beach in the mornings and snorkel in the afternoons. So CCV and AKR are out.

CCV has a very long shoreline frontage that runs about 1/3 mile. It is more of a hike than a flip-flop walk. So, maybe, don't count that out.

The shore snorkel from Fantasy and CocoView is the best close-in shore snorkel on the island. After you do FI for a week, try CCV and you'll see that it is quite different and markedly better than FI which is just 100 yards across the channel.

The price difference and the scarcity of availability might really be the deciding factor. It's usually booked so they don't give it away like many other alternatives.

Last question for you experts---one of the friends staying at FI with me doesn't have equipment. Do you think he can rent equipment at FI and feel safe about it?

Most of the time, rental gear looks like death warmed over due to salt and UV exposure. A qualified diver should know how to perform simple checks to ascertain if rental gear is functional. Check the BC inflator and see if it holds air or if the inflator leaks and slowly adds air. Suck out of both regulators. Go diving. I can attest that the rental gear at CCV is in perfect working order and looks great. I use it instead of dragging my gear down- that way I can bring more Crayolas for the Madjken Broby Children's Home.

"Long walks on the beach" probably rules out my suggestion of Barefoot Cay as it's not very big. Beachfront there is probably about 400'.

You could do laps.

Looking at Google Maps' satellite views, it looks like the West End, West Bay areas may have sufficiently lengthy beaches for you.

Since Doc has weighed in with the standard "don't wander off the tourist path at 3:00am", and you've stated that you're not (much) of a partier, that seems like a decent alternative, if lengthy beaches are a priority.

On the CocoView bus, I remember speaking to a couple who were doing 1 week at CocoView, followed by 2-3 days "in town" (or maybe it was the other way around?), so I think your plan for a few days "in town" after FI should be fine, if that's your choice.

There are a number of reviews here of West Bay/West End places. I've never been there, but TripAdvisor has some good reviews for Sueno Del Mar, and the location (at least, from the map) appears to be near a number of places to eat and dive shops.

Reactions: Doc
I've stayed, solo, at Bananarama and had a great time. Friendly staff, excellent dive shop, a casual bar for drinks and food, a beautiful beach out front for your long walks with spectacular sunsets and a marine park for snorkeling make West Bay a good solution for your requirements.

Having just returned from Roatan a month ago, I would highly recommend that you check out Lands End Resort. It is very low key, quiet, and a ten minute (but safe) walk to West End. It is run by Adi, who is a great guy and is very attentive to his guests needs. Go to Trip Adviser and see for yourself what others have to say.

I'm heading to Fantasy Island for a week shortly. (They are closing after I leave.)

But I wanted to extend my stay for a few nights at a place that:

1) Is safe for a single female

2) Is on or close to the beach as I want to walk a long beach

3) Not too expensive

4) And of course has access to more diving

5) Ideally, I'd like a place that has communal eating opportunities for those of us that travel alone.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added July 19th, 2013 at 07:47 PM ----------

Oh, yeah, snorkeling would be great.

Diving 2512:

I have stayed at FIBR before and it has continued to become less desirable over time. Yes, I would say check out the West End. The beaches in the area are south of Sueno Del Mar and Half Moon Bay. You may try Chilles or Coconut tree Divers. I prefer Splash Inn. It is centrally located, small, family owned. 24 rooms, dive shop and restaurant. They generally have a more mature clientele but backpackers are welcome. One of the instructors, Monique, "MO" and her husband own the Blue Marlin. Prices are reasonable, they provide all equipment and are c lose to eats and drinks. Also they have on-premise security during the night. www.roatansplashinn.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom