October diving in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Coconuts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We normally dive in Cozumel twice a year. For our second trip this year we would like to try somewhere new in the Caribbean. We are flying out of San Antonio, TX. We like the feel of Cozumel and are not party people. We usually rent a house and scooter and enjoy what the town has to offer. We are looking for somewhere with a similar feel and of course good diving. It will be early October so water temp is a factor as well. We welcome your suggestions, where to go, where to stay (house/condo preferably) and who to dive with. Thanks!

Let me put in a plug for Saba. All during the month of October they have a program called Sea and Learn (http://www.seaandlearn.org/). It is a free, open to the public program where they bring in experts about all aspects of the natural environment on and around the island: the marine life, the flora and fauna of the island, the geology of the area, the ecology of the island, and many more things. There are field trips you can participate in and all, unless they involve going out on a boat, are free. My wife and I lucked into the program the first time we went to Saba, and we were hooked! The water then is around 80 degrees, the water is very clear, and the diving is fantastic. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about Sea and Learn or Saba.

Larry

Thank you lostcajun and DeputyDan Belize is on our short list. I have been years ago but not my husband. I was only a snokerler then and didn't get to experience the diving so the recommendations are appreciated.

---------- Post added August 8th, 2013 at 07:32 PM ----------

Let me put in a plug for Saba. All during the month of October they have a program called Sea and Learn (Welcome to Sea & Learn on Saba, a non-profit foundation dedicated to enhancing the environmental awareness of Saba's communithy and its visitors .). It is a free, open to the public program where they bring in experts about all aspects of the natural environment on and around the island: the marine life, the flora and fauna of the island, the geology of the area, the ecology of the island, and many more things. There are field trips you can participate in and all, unless they involve going out on a boat, are free. My wife and I lucked into the program the first time we went to Saba, and we were hooked! The water then is around 80 degrees, the water is very clear, and the diving is fantastic. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about Sea and Learn or Saba.

Larry

Larry, it's funny I had never heard of Saba before until yesterday. I came across it online and did some research on it. It looks amazing, my husband even started looking at cottages to rent. It's really good to hear from someone who has actually been there. I did see the Sea and Learn but did not get a chance to look into it. Being a small island generally things are more expensive. How are the prices for food, transportation and of course diving? What is the best means of transportation on the island? What about getting from the airport to the island, what is the cost? It's good to know about the water temp in October, that's always a concern, I hate being cold when diving. I will take a look at the link you sent. The flight from San Antonio to St. Maarten is pretty reasonable so it's definitely on our list! Thanks Linda

Turks and Caicos is my favourite place. Lots of big animal life! It is not cheap, but there are more affordable options out there. Flamingo Divers is the best for small groups or Dive Provo is very well respected too.

I have to agree with CTA Turks & Caicos is amazing lots of little condos and appartments the only difference i would say is i do like dive provo as they have 3 boats and cover the whole dive scene down there if you need any condo details pm me

For Saba: The food is a bit pricier(but not crazy) than the States, fresh produce only comes in once a week(but the diveshop will go shopping for those items if you come in later in the week if you desire). Pretty good restaurants so.
You dont really need a transportation on Saba, especially of you stay in Windwardside-you can walk anywhere. Hitch hiking is safe and common on the island. Transportation to the Harbour and back is part of the dive package. Transportation from the airport can be arranged through the divecenter or hotel-its like 10 $ a person or so I think. If you need more detailed info and exact prices on that send an email to info@seasaba.com .

Back
Top Bottom