Ocean Kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any more opinions out there with regard to Ocean kayaks which can accommodate minimalistic scuba gear? Good quality, tough, relatively fast and not too heavy are the goals...

I know this thread has been around for awhile but I would like to put some input in. Another choice you might want to look at is the Royak Royak Marine - The official ROYAK web site - Buy Online! These were the original sit on top kayaks and they make a divers model. I got an old used one a few months ago for next to nothing and refurbished it to almost like new. It's a 1974 model and it is like the newer ones as the design has not changed much since then. These were very popular in the 70's & 80's in Nor Cal waters. In fact many old ones from that time period are still in use. It's just some food for thought for anyone looking for a dive kayak.

Basically, I would just like to know what the recommendations are for a diving kayak. I'd like one that can take my gear (drysuit, weights, two tanks and all), plus the stuff for a decent lunch.

The simple ones I've seen look like they only take one tanks.

I use a Malibu 2 made by Ocean Kayak. It has a middle seat so it can be paddled by one person and is rated for 450lbs. It was not intended for diving but can carry the weight without a problem and is more stable for climbing on.

Any more opinions out there with regard to Ocean kayaks which can accommodate minimalistic scuba gear? Good quality, tough, relatively fast and not too heavy are the goals...

For this I use a Scrambler, not the xl model. When I am diving this kayak I use a mask, fins, snorkel, 13cu/ft tank attached to a Miller diving harness and a regulator with SPG first & second stage. This is used for shallow recon in warm water.

Hey kayak divers--thought it was time to goose this thread a little. I too dive from a Malibu Two--a good stable station wagon of a platform. Having just spent a weekend teetering over rocky shore entries on Cape Ann in New England, I'm anxious to return to the luxury of the kayak dive in those parts. Any potential buddies out there? I know it's October, but spring'll be here before you know it. Can't understand why more folks don't go the kayak route...

I know this thread has been around for awhile but I would like to put some input in. Another choice you might want to look at is the Royak Royak Marine - The official ROYAK web site - Buy Online! These were the original sit on top kayaks and they make a divers model. I got an old used one a few months ago for next to nothing and refurbished it to almost like new. It's a 1974 model and it is like the newer ones as the design has not changed much since then. These were very popular in the 70's & 80's in Nor Cal waters. In fact many old ones from that time period are still in use. It's just some food for thought for anyone looking for a dive kayak.

I lkie the Blender Boat! Royak Marine - The official ROYAK web site - The Royak Blender Boat!

Hey kayak divers--thought it was time to goose this thread a little. I too dive from a Malibu Two--a good stable station wagon of a platform. Having just spent a weekend teetering over rocky shore entries on Cape Ann in New England, I'm anxious to return to the luxury of the kayak dive in those parts. Any potential buddies out there? I know it's October, but spring'll be here before you know it. Can't understand why more folks don't go the kayak route...

I looked into that for my last trip to Cape Ann. The Haight wreck can be reached by kayak from Gap Cove on Cape Ann. It is about a mile from the put in and a half mile off shore.

Haight.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:19 AM ----------

This is going to cost me. I do get far more use from the tank compartments on these things for holding coolers then I do tanks.

I am using a OK Trident 13. it is a fishing kayak but doubles nicely for diving. The cargo area will hold an Al80, bc and reg set. Fins and mask fit nicely in the hull loaded through that big hatch between your legs. Dive flag goes in any one of the many available accessory sockets.
At least it works for me.

I am using a OK Trident 13. it is a fishing kayak but doubles nicely for diving. The cargo area will hold an Al80, bc and reg set. Fins and mask fit nicely in the hull loaded through that big hatch between your legs. Dive flag goes in any one of the many available accessory sockets.
At least it works for me.

Have any pics of your setup? If you could dive any kayak would you still choose the OK Trident 13?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom