Hawai Is it better than the Caribbean ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been a number of years since I spent a lot of time in Hawaii. Hawaiian diving is good, like Caribbean diving. I wouldn't describe it as excellent or top notch or any of the other marketing descriptions us dive operators use, but it's good. The water is a little chilly for me, but I'm kind of wimpy that way. If I were flying all the way to Hawaii, I'd keep going to any of the Micronesian islands, where I learned to dive, or any of the Polynesian islands. Why the fascination with Hawaii when you have the Red Sea, Maldives, Indonesia so close?

I totally agree with that.

I recommend you come to Hawaii and experience Hawaii for the topside experience, but not for just the diving, when you've got what Wookie mentioned so much easier to access. There will be a few unique dives to experience in Hawaii that are unique to Hawaii, however, I'd spend a lifetime in FP, Red Sea, Indonesia etc... without ever regretting missing diving in Hawaii. But like I said, if money and time are no problems, then come see Hawaii for the topside experience and do some diving too, but do Hawaii for what's above the waterline more than what's below and you'll have a blast.

The biodiversity of the pacific is greater than it is in the atlantic, so by that standard the diving is better in Hawaii. I agree with Frank though - I don't see why you'd bother with either the Caribbean or Hawaii when you could do southeast Asia and/or the Red Sea for similar or less travel.

I invite you to come get the best of both worlds with us here in St.Vincent. Thriving reefs due to the lack of tourist traffic. Rainforest, waterfalls, a live volcano you can hike, easy day trips island hopping. Swim with the turtles in a marine sanctuary or go bird watching for wild parrots in the rainforest. They call it "Tahiti of the Caribbean". Even better is the overall cost because the exchange rate is so much better. The overall cost of things is MUCH less than Hawaii. Amazing spot in the Caribbean that for many years has been reserved by cost for the rich and famous, we have now made affordable. The best reefs in the Caribbean. Whales come through twice a year. Book to BGI and then go to Liat Airlines directly and book the direct jump flight over to SVD and you'll save even more. Find us on our website or youtube for lots more info. on St.Vincent. Truly a "hidden gem".
I like St. Vincent & The Grenadines a lot, well, I liked the Grenadines more than St. Vincent, although on Young Island there, I missed getting to stare at Keira Knightly at dinner by one week. St. Vincent is a great gateway to pick up a bareboat charter in Calliaqua.
The
The best reefs in the Caribbean.
part...well, I don't agree on that one. There are some great dive ops there, but it's more little critter diving.

I like St Vincent diving too, but it's still no comparison to the Indo-Pacific region. I'd visit more often if it wasn't such a pain to get to (between lousy air service to an airport that can't handle jets, and "Luggage In Another Terminal" airlines.) And while the island is scenic I'd still choose Hawaii for above-water sightseeing.

They ever going to finish the new airport?

Wookie is right ...Hawaii is good but the next leg gets you to Fiji or Tahiti which are great.

I'd say Hawaii is superior to the Caribbean, mainly because it's the eastern terminus of a lot of marine life that you get in the western pacific (which is 100x superior to the Caribbean). Hawaii overall is a magical place, above and below water, but very expensive and hard to get to...for diving, as others had mentioned, I'd explore Indonesia, Philippines, etc. first.

The Caribbean and Hawaii are so different...it depends what you are looking for. We frequent the Caribbean but went to Hawaii to see "something different". We dove on Maui and the Big Island. One of the bigger attractions on Maui is Molokini Crater. And on the Big Island - the Manta Ray Night Dive is a must. It was a truly awesome experience. My advice....go somewhere where you are going to see things you have never seen before.

Haven't been diving at St Vincent but some of sweetest diving I've ever done was at Bequia. Yes, super hard to get to from here, kinda expensive on the island, no big critters but fricken beautiful otherwise with so many . . . Yes small things but corals beautiful, lobsters completely out and wanting to take you on, damn . . Just fricken beautiful. Would have been back any number of times but it is a serious pain in the bass to get to from here . . .and time And money wise one should just go to SE Asia.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom