Buy or rent computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with a lot of the stuff above.

Depends on the diving you are doing - in many locations a computer is not actually necessary but I think it's important in this day and age that people should use one, and should know how it works! like all gear, they don't come cheap, although the out-of-production Suunto Gekko can still be found new and unused online for around $100 in stock clearance sales - they are great, basic computers. If you're diving one or two times a year, then renting gear is more cost-effective, because it might cost you $50 to rent a computer at $10 per day if you're only going to make a short dive vacation once per year. If you get addicted to the underwater world, then it makes good sense both practically and financially to buy one.

Cheers

C.

First of all, are you buying this for your certification dives or looking at it for later? Doesn't hurt anything to have one but I don't think you need to rush to get them for your cert dives. Take your time and get a better idea of what you'd like.

If you're going to have a computer I think it's good to have your own so you're familiar with it. You can get a basic computer inexpensively that may turn out to do all you need ever, and it shouldn't take long to save money over renting. Best to get one that handles Nitrox, unless you get a really cheap deal on something air-only.

As far as whether a computer is the first thing you should buy (over stuff like BC/reg) that sort of depends on what kind of diving you will be doing and if/when you are thinking of buying the other big stuff.

Some computers have digital compasses built in, but they tend to be more expensive computers. And while I haven't tried any lately and get the impression they have improved, some are not very intuitive. That something to watch out for, and you may decide you are better off with a separate analog compass. Just like a computer you can have a compass mounted in a console or get one to wear on your wrist, pros and cons of where is a whole 'nuther discussion. (If you are not looking at getting regs soon, anything console mounted is impractical since you'd have to be swapping it onto rental gear all the time.)

Some computers have digital compasses built in, but they tend to be more expensive computers. And while I haven't tried any lately and get the impression they have improved, some are not very intuitive. That something to watch out for, and you may decide you are better off with a separate analog compass. Just like a computer you can have a compass mounted in a console or get one to wear on your wrist, pros and cons of where is a whole 'nuther discussion. (If you are not looking at getting regs soon, anything console mounted is impractical since you'd have to be swapping it onto rental gear all the time.)
I have tried several computers with digital compasses and will still use a standalone magnetic compass any day, especially if the computer is wrist mounted. I find it very difficult to lock my arm at a 90 degree angle to ensure proper use of the compass, especially if I'm slinging a pony.

I join those advocating buying your own computer. 1st, you will have it and be able to be totally familiar with it and use it on every dive, so there is only one "learning" set. Next, divers who invest in equipment are more likely to be active in diving, and dive more than those who don't own their gear. Being an active diver is a good thing. Finally, you will know the history of your computer- number of dives, conditions, last battery replacement, etc. and that is a huge thing to know. Confidnece in quality and properly maintained equipment makes diving more fun. And a computer will last you a loooong time.
DivemasterDennis

I agree with the many reasons to buy one. The vast majority of my dives are shallow shore dives when I don't even use it--just the watch so I know what time it is... But I do have it for anything below say 40'. Nice to have when doing 100' or so on a charter without having to rent a different one. I would guess if you don't have the $ for one or do a dive trip once a year and that's all, it would make sense to rent.

If you are going to dive as a one off for a holiday, then perhaps renting a computer is ok. If you feel you may be more serious about diving and will do it more than occasionally then get a computer. A computer is your buddy, reflects your dive profile and in some cases can act as your dive Log.A computer you own is a computer you are familiar with. Can you take a rented computer home? If no, then you don't have access to surface intervals and no fly times. If you shop around a computer can be excellent value for money and unlike using tables for ABT, gives you credit for variation in your depth.

Paul.

Lovely thing about dive computers is their longevity. The technology "innovates" like every 15 years... which is like 5 times slower than smartphones or tablets. Heh.

buy a modestly priced 2 gas NITROX computer, no need for pressure integration and you should be well within the $300 range. this computer will serve all your diving needs until you decide to go full tech; at which point it will still be useful as a backup to a full tech computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Computers are not necessary pieces of equipment -- unless you dive from a boat charter or resort that requires computers.

So should you buy or rent a computer? That depends upon how much time you plan to spend diving with a computer. Rent if you're not going to be using a computer very often, buy if you plan use a computer a lot.

Given the computers are not really necessary, and they eventually die or flood or become obsolete, I always get the cheapest Nitrox computer that I can find. As you move into more advanced diving (or even tech diving) you won't be using a computer at all, so don't waste your money on high-end electronics.

Computers are not necessary pieces of equipment -- unless you dive from a boat charter or resort that requires computers.

So should you buy or rent a computer? That depends upon how much time you plan to spend diving with a computer. Rent if you're not going to be using a computer very often, buy if you plan use a computer a lot.

Given the computers are not really necessary, and they eventually die or flood or become obsolete, I always get the cheapest Nitrox computer that I can find. As you move into more advanced diving (or even tech diving) you won't be using a computer at all, so don't waste your money on high-end electronics.

Yea, tec divers don't use computers. Sure.
There is a market full of tec computers.

I would recommend buying a computer if you really want one because there are quite a few places that don't rent them. And a good starter nitrox computer can be had for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom