Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did two at Breakwater. 15-20 ft vis along wall and also in kelp forest. It seemed the further you went out the vis kind of dropped off. Went to Monastery first but it looked a little murky from shore so decided to hit BW.

Dove the Big Sur coast at Willow and then Mill Creek. Kayaked out to a far kelp patty at willow, then did a shore dive at Mill. I have yet to see these places on a good day. Both were green green green with ~10 feet of vis. I've dove these sites a few times now...still waiting for those great conditions that I have heard about. Hardly any fish out, and the bottom was completely covered in algae. The only thing noteworthy was the bottom structure at willow. Huge boulders and deep crevices/caves was awesome.

We had 20'-30' of visibility at McAbee today. It was really quite nice--totally calm seas, thin kelp cover. We had a very friendly juvenile seal accompany us for most of the dive, and I don't think he left any teeth marks on my fins. The dive was 55 minutes total, max depth of 64 fsw...and Wesley still came back with 1400 psi in her HP80.

No updates from this past weekend so thought I'd chime in. Despite being quite calm and flat at surface, Lobos was horrible on Saturday. Nice seeing a lot of great folks diving out there, but the viz was maybe a generous 10 brown dark feet. Only spent 15 minutes on the bottom at Granite Pt. Wall before coming up with some camera issues. But it was enough to see, so to speak, that diving wasn't a great idea. Let's hope things improve.

My wife went out to the Metridium Fields today and said it was 10'-20'. It wasn't quite as nice as when we were out last Thursday at McAbee, but still they had fun. It is noteworthy that the advance guard of the nettle invasion has made its way into Monterey Bay. I saw a few of them last Thursday, mostly being digested by the anemonies, but there were a few free-floating. It sounded like there were a few more today, and the person with Wesley (a new diver) discovered what it feels like when they zap your upper lip.

Last time I did Metridium it was with Mubin and we both got zapped.

Well, the trick is to zap them first, before they get you. Extend your hand with your alternate air source in it out in front of you, sneak up under a nettle, then give it a blast of air. They go shooting up to the surface and explode. When the nettles get really thick, this is how I have to clear a path in order to move forward. It sort of reminds me of doing mine sweeps in Viet Nam.

Back
Top Bottom