AI vs NON-AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainhook426

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I can't seem to find any posts that compare the differences, or advantages/disadvantages of air integration. I'm starting to do the research on my first computer and want to buy something that can grow with me through my advanced training. I'm not really looking for tech related answers because that is a LONG ways off, if I even get that far. There really isn't anything local to me that can be considered "tech," except maybe a few caves or old mines. I like my SPG and will not get rid of it regardless of the style of computer that I decided (wonders of having two HP ports). I also carry a separate compass and depth gauge that is not part of my current console set up. So the only thing that I actually lose right now without my console is water temperature. I use a watch for a bottom timer right now, and try to stick to the charts as best that I can. My method really starts to stink after about two dives though. So if the gurus would like to explain this that would be awesome.

The advantages of AI are pretty simple: your computer takes into account the current depth, tank pressure and breathing rate, and calculates how long you can remain submerged on the amount of gas left. Also, some people prefer to have all information available at a single glance. If you look at the screen of an AI computer during your dive, you'll have all the dive parameters available instantly. A non-AI computer would require you to take your SPG from time to time.

The prime disadvantage of an AI computer is also pretty straight forward: as you're adding an additional electronic component (the sensor on your tank), you're adding an additional point of failure. The connection between the sensor and the computer is not completely failure proof, and the sensor's battery might run out. However, and you already pointed this out, it's advised to keep a backup SPG so you can continue your dive if your pressure sensor were to fail. Another disadvantage of AI computers is that the pressure sensor can be quite expensive.

If you're in doubt between computers at the moment, you might consider buying a AI-ready computer now, and buy the sensor later.

Never give up your SPG.

I use an AI computer and love my Atomic Cobalt. However, my next computer is likely to be a simple wrist mount.

AI is convenient, one stop location for info. But over time the air readings can go off. I find the air time based on breathing rate to be wildly inaccurate, at best. That estimate only becomes remotely accurate near the end of a dive. I always compare the SPG to the computer at the beginning and end of a dive. I expect it to be within 100 PSI or so. If it isn't, I get a tank gauge to see which is correct, and the winner is always the SPG.

AI is a nice luxury item and its great to have all data in one place using a transmitter is great i run a D9Txi and love it but i also run a simple spg clipped to my harness be aware they have issues for example pairing up and interference when your on a dive with them things like strobes can interfere with them as for failure points etc yes we understand but a single O ring can fail on ANY part of the dive rig so i dont go with that for recreational divers but they must be seen as the aditional item and NOT the standard ! but as i said i do love having all my infomation on my wrist as i do not like my expensive computer swinging of my dive rig!! the other issue is with transmitters being delicate and peoples rough handling simple solution mount the transmitter on a flex hose then they cant be grabbed to carry the rig by mistake REMEMBER THERE ARE ALWAYS TRADE OFF'S but as i said recreational diving i believe its worth it!

I too did a lot of research when trying to decide what computer to go with and the pros and cons are well stated in the above posts. I finally settled on an AI with the oceanic VT 4.1 and because I have 2 hp ports I keep a small spg clipped off to my BC. That way if I loose connection with the transmitter I will have the spg as backup.

The advantages of AI are pretty simple: your computer takes into account the current depth, tank pressure and breathing rate, and calculates how long you can remain submerged on the amount of gas left. Also, some people prefer to have all information available at a single glance. If you look at the screen of an AI computer during your dive, you'll have all the dive parameters available instantly. A non-AI computer would require you to take your SPG from time to time.

The prime disadvantage of an AI computer is also pretty straight forward: as you're adding an additional electronic component (the sensor on your tank), you're adding an additional point of failure. The connection between the sensor and the computer is not completely failure proof, and the sensor's battery might run out. However, and you already pointed this out, it's advised to keep a backup SPG so you can continue your dive if your pressure sensor were to fail. Another disadvantage of AI computers is that the pressure sensor can be quite expensive.

If you're in doubt between computers at the moment, you might consider buying a AI-ready computer now, and buy the sensor later.

Solution...don't do wireless AI. Console AI gives you all these advantages without the added expense/failure concern.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

so you like $1000 swinging on a rig and getting caught in small dive boats being potentialy damaged OK lol!

Solution...don't do wireless AI. Console AI gives you all these advantages without the added expense/failure concern.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

so you like $1000 swinging on a rig and getting caught in small dive boats being potentialy damaged OK lol!
Let's not become rude here.

The primary reason I'd opt for not using a console AI is twofold: a) I prefer my computer on my wrist (easier access than grabbing a console every time), but everyone to their own, and b) if you're using a console AI computer, and the computer were to fail (battery or whatever), you'd be left without knowledge on your current tank pressure. That, unless you were to add an SPG, but that'd leave you with two HP hoses.

I do apologise if it was seen for me being rude!!! i wasnt !!lol so sorry !

Thanks guys! I kinda like the idea of the add on if I feel the need. I do like my method of calculating without a computer, but I know I'm losing bottom time and experience/practice because of this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom