Gagging on mouthpiece during Pre- Breathe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tammy, I double checked with our orthodontist owner and he agreed that you should try trimming the inside flanges on the mouthpiece - the parts that touch the sides of your tongue. That is the main area that leads to a gag reflex. That whole inside flange can be cut off without a problem, if necessary. Also, this was an improvement that was made on our newest model, the X Type. The flanges on this model are tapered to reduce any gag reflex that the diver might have. You are right, some people have a big problem with this in the dental office, some not at all. We're all different - and that's usually a good thing :)

i had zero luck with comfort with seacure, but the mares jax mouthpiece is great i have them on all my regs

That's great, Tammy. We're glad to hear it worked out for you. It's interesting - it seems like almost every year when we are at DEMA (the big dive show), we have someone who comes to the booth and says I just can't use a SeaCure because of my strong gag reflex. We talk them into letting us mold one for them and with a little trimming, they are very happy to have no gag problem.

That's great, Tammy. We're glad to hear it worked out for you. It's interesting - it seems like almost every year when we are at DEMA (the big dive show), we have someone who comes to the booth and says I just can't use a SeaCure because of my strong gag reflex. We talk them into letting us mold one for them and with a little trimming, they are very happy to have no gag problem.

I will be at DEMA this year. Perhaps I'll be able to look you up while there.

Back
Top Bottom