Trip Advisor - proof that there's something "askew" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several years ago I tried to use Trip Advisor to get information about hotels at a new destination we were thinking of visiting.... Of the Dive hotels referred to me on another site, I found the most horrendous reviews. And what did these "reviewers" have to say? They trashed, and I do mean trashed, these hotels for things like not enough towels, or people are allowed to save seats by the pool with towels, or wake-up call was late. Seriously, what a bunch of horrible reviews I found, all for stupid complaints by people who are not divers. That was the first and last time I took much of what I found seriously.

I do put reports on Trip Advisor now, every place I go.... but it is to give GOOD information, no silly complaints about towels.

robin

Yes, it's more important to READ the negative reviews than the positive ones, I think. People who pan a hotel because the clerk wasn't at the desk when they got there are people whose opinion I can more or less discard; however, if a number of people all state the place wasn't clean or was very noisy, it's probably true.

Yeah, I agree that you can learn more sometimes from the negative, if you see patterns developing. However, you can also get some negative reviews that just couldn't possibly be farther off base. For instance, there was just a review posted about Little Cayman Beach Resort in the last couple of days that just went off on the place...called it "Overpriced, poor service, poor maintenance, questionable dive shop practices" and rated it one star. Once you drill down into it, it boils down to a bunch of little things like a dusty air conditioner, it took too long to provide him with an alarm clock, a door lock malfunctioned, they don't pick up trash off the beach often enough, and the dive operator wouldn't let somebody dive after they locked out their computer.

Ok, I can understand that people have different ideas of value, so if he felt it was overpriced...I can understand that. The alarm clock? Do you have a phone? If so, why do you need an alarm clock? Also, I have to doubt his story based on my experiences there. When I have asked for things like a different pillow for my wife, they immediately went with me to the housekeeping space and let me pick one out. I simply don't believe it took multiple days and multiple requests to get one. Similarly, when we have been there, they cleaned the beach either every day or every other day...but it is the ocean, and every high tide brings a new load of detritus. So I just don't believe they went all week without doing anything. They had somebody out there with a rake every day cleaning up the area around the pool and down towards the beach. The door lock? It is an island...next to salt water...things break. That isn't a maintenance issue, it just happens. They fixed it that day...what more did he really want out of them? I can argue all those points as issues he could comment on if he chose, but I don't think any of them singularly or all together warrants a 1 star rating.

But the part of his review that I think gives us the window into what really happened comes when he starts talking about the dive operation and their computer lockout policy. Basically they offer free use of the computer to any diver who doesn't have one. I have seen when new divers say yes to the computer several times. The DMs give a very detailed sit down discussion with the divers about how the computer works and what can cause a lockout. During the boat briefing that everybody gets their first day on the boat, they are very explicit that if you lockout your computer, you will sit until the computer unlocks, which can be up to 48 hours. This isn't for punishment, as the reviewer claims, it is for the safety of the diver, since Little Cayman has next to no medical facilities and no chamber on the island. Reef Divers is the most safety conscious dive operator I have ever been with, and I have seen their briefings and actions on this first hand a number of times. There is simply no way any diver got one of their computers and wasn't trained on how it worked and how to avoid a lockout. With that said, if the lockout occurred, it ties the hands of the operator. They can't assume a computer malfunction and put the diver back in the water. In the review, it was mentioned that some time after the fact, a diver produced a "backup computer" that supposedly was on the dive with him as well. If it was not produced at the moment the lockout was noted, how can the DM know where the computer was or whether it was on that diver or somebody else? They simply can't take that chance of letting the diver back in the water, and they make that policy very clear up front. Any diver who was surprised by the policy or felt punished for "the computer beeping at them" doesn't belong in the water in the first place, because they clearly aren't paying attention to the DMs and clearly don't understand how their equipment works if they refer to a full computer lockout as It beeped at me".

The last reason I suspect that review is off is that they claimed that the same person in the dive shop did the same thing last year to somebody else. That can't be true, because they would have been dealing with the dive shop manager for that kind of issue, and Ben Webb who was the manager for several years is no longer there. It really bugs me to see a review like this because the title of the review cites questionable dive shop practices as if they were somehow putting divers in danger, when that insinuation couldn't possibly be further from the truth. If there is anything they could be guilty of, it would be exercising an overabundance of caution in trying to protect the diver from their own stupidity. That isn't a "questionable" practice in my book, it is a commendable one, and it is a shame to see it characterized otherwise.

Oh well...off my soapbox...

yup.... exactly my point!!
My two favorite Dive Resorts in the world are CocoView in Roatan and Scuba Club Cozumel. Both get mostly great reviews, but there are several posted every year that complain stupid stuff, like no TV (it clearly states everywhere that both resorts do NOT have TVs in rooms) and crap like that which anyone should know ahead of booking if they do ANY research. I read one harsh report on SCC that complained about the fact their are no "fast 6-pack boats" like the poster had wanted. Duh... All their boats are big, even their smallest ones that hold 8 divers. They don't own a single 6-pack boat. Look at their website! Complaints like that are so insulting but they are there all over Trip Advisor.

A couple of years ago there was a very negative review about the Brac Reef Beach Resort. I have been there three times and was surprised to read such a review. Then I noticed when the reviewer "claimed" to have stayed there. Well they claimed to have stayed there during the time the resort was closed for over a year while they totally rebuilt from a hurricane. So I let both Trip Advisor and the resort folks know about what I had found. In a few days TA had removed the review.

I appreciate it when people take the time to write reviews that help me plan trips.

It does seem to be more difficult to get useful info about dive trip planning. Undercurrent, for example, may have reviews on a specific spot, but they are not always current. Same here on SB. Trip Advisor increasingly seems to be the "go to" resource for hotels and restaurants, so I have started adding scuba reviews to their data base, too.

It is true that people can game the system by loading either good or bad reviews about their own or a competitor's business. But the more actual user/customer reports are added, the less weight the bogus entries will carry.

Yeah, it is funny to be able to catch them on something simple like that. It is harder when somebody clearly had a negative event happen that may have been out of the control of the resort or dive staff, and the reviewer is so upset about that one event (that may very well have been their own fault) that everything else get magnified into these huge shortcomings that they then blast the resort for.

I just laugh when people go to the sister islands and then write reviews about how they are upset that the beach isn't great for swimming in front of the resorts and that there was "nothing to do if you weren't a diver" and complain that the resort is "totally catering to divers" and didn't provide other activities for the non-diving guests. I think every decent review I have ever read for any place on the sister islands points out that there is nothing to do but dive, and if you have a non-diving travel partner who likes topside activities, you might want to look elsewhere. If these people did even an ounce of research prior to going, they should have known all of that...but still they write a big negative review as if it is somehow the resort's fault that they didn't know what kind of vacation they had planned for themselves.

TripAdvisor is one tool I use, but not the only one. For food recommendations (esp. in the US), Urbanspoon & Yelp seem to work pretty well for the places I tend to go to. I tend to discount a lot of reviews because of the "anonymity" factor. (OK, so I'm also anonymous here on SB--although if you work at it, I'm sure you can stalk me and lift the veil of anonymity behind which I hide).

Of course, if I'm going to go to, say, CocoView next week, restaurant recommendations are not going to be a priority for me.

If I'm in Bloomingdale IL, in transit between Chicago and DeKalb, and looking for places to eat, TripAdvisor will be one of my tools. If I win an all-expenses paid trip to Amarillo TX, and I want to find someplace that serves good tofu, I will also use TripAdvisor as one of my tools.

If I win an all-expenses paid trip to Amarillo TX, and I want to find someplace that serves good tofu, I will also use TripAdvisor as one of my tools.

Don't go looking for tofu in Amarillo!! We eat MEAT here in Texas -- and lots of it! Now if you are looking for a fair sized steak -- like a 72 ounce slab of meat - you're in luck, just go to the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo. And forget TripAdvisor -- why would you ever trust a travel advisor that thinks tofu is food?

Don't go looking for tofu in Amarillo!! We eat MEAT here in Texas -- and lots of it! Now if you are looking for a fair sized steak -- like a 72 ounce slab of meat - you're in luck, just go to the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo. And forget TripAdvisor -- why would you ever trust a travel advisor that thinks tofu is food?

Obviously, you've never had barbecued tofu :D

But just for you:

tofudebeest.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom