SSI science of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a Science of Diving manual for sale ? Interested in purchasing one for my studying. Thank you!

---------- Post added September 13th, 2015 at 07:26 PM ----------

I would like to purchase a science of diving manual. Let me know if you have one for sale please. Thank you.

Do you have a Science of Diving manual for sale ? Interested in purchasing one for my studying. Thank you!

---------- Post added September 13th, 2015 at 07:26 PM ----------

I would like to purchase a science of diving manual. Let me know if you have one for sale please. Thank you.

I wonder too, but have no intention of taking the class. If it is a good book I'd be happy to read it though.

It is a worthwhile purchase just for reading or is the same material found elsewhere in better written form? Just thinking that many advanced training manuals are... with room for improvement.

FinnMom: I'll check with SSI when I am next up there if there is an extra book about; I only have the electronic ones, so I'll see what they have in stock.

we have them in stock. i will check and see if they can sell them as a stand alone book. they may only sell them as part of a course. i'll check tomorrow just in case sflscubapro cannot come up with one

---------- Post added September 14th, 2015 at 01:21 PM ----------

we have them in stock. i will check and see if they can sell them as a stand alone book. they may only sell them as part of a course. i'll check tomorrow just in case sflscubapro cannot come up with one

$45.99 canadian plus 13% tax plus any shipping costs

rick00001967, congrats. I took the class and found it interesting. My only disappointment was the chapter on decompression. The chapter starts off OK with a general description of decompression history and science but then spends too much time talking about why the computer will not track your N2 accurately when reverse profile dives are done. The author uses the phrase "garbage in, garbage out" as why we can't trust our computers when doing these profiles. As long as the computer is working correctly it should track your N2 for any profile you do. The other chapters were great but I came away thinking that the decompression chapter was written by lawyers instead of informed science people. SSI, you need to do a rewrite.

BTW, there is a metric and imperial version of the book -- get the right version.

thx a bunch but i actually wrote the s of d exam about 2 1/2 years ago. haha but i'll take compliments whenever i can :)

If anyone has aSOD manual for sale for my self study purpose, let me know where I may get the manual

---------- Post added September 19th, 2015 at 12:55 AM ----------

Yeah I would be interested in the SOD manual. How do I get in touch ?

Hi Rick000067,

Thanks for starting this thread. I checked with the closest SSI dive shop to me and they do offer SofD. I ordered the book (even thought it is an on-line class) and am scheduled for their next class which is December.

I am not (no-way in hell) going for a DG or DM cert. No pro certs for me. I just want to wrap up the independent study that I have done into something formal. I will add this cert to my c-card ring that I take on dive boats. Why not!

markm

If anyone has aSOD manual for sale for my self study purpose, let me know where I may get the manual

---------- Post added September 19th, 2015 at 12:55 AM ----------

Yeah I would be interested in the SOD manual. How do I get in touch ?

see my post #15

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 07:37 PM ----------

Hi Rick000067,

Thanks for starting this thread. I checked with the closest SSI dive shop to me and they do offer SofD. I ordered the book (even thought it is an on-line class) and am scheduled for their next class which is December.

I am not (no-way in hell) going for a DG or DM cert. No pro certs for me. I just want to wrap up the independent study that I have done into something formal. I will add this cert to my c-card ring that I take on dive boats. Why not!

markm

it is a great class to take especially if you have a good instructor. we usually sell the books as well up here. most of our students do not like the online classes and prefer the book. it also is nice to have as a reference guide down the road.
i would not be too quick to rule out DG or DM. i started on the pro road with aspirations of only reaching DCS but ended up becoming an instructor (for better or for worse).
remember, once you achieve master diver, all you need is DG plus the SofD and you are automatically a DM.
good luck in the course !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom