Towing a dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good topic for discussion.

Newer divers are often surprised to learn that managing a flag is no where near as easy as it looks! It requires constant awareness and frequent attention by the diver, regardless of the type of line or spool or flag or float being used. Fortunately, it is a skill that, if learned properly, becomes MUCH easier with a little practice.

There are a few things that we must keep in mind when dealing with a flag, regardless of whether or not it's being towed or being tied off:

Safety

The flag & associated equipment should not create a safety hazard to any person in the vicinity. This includes divers that aren't actively using the flag in question, as well boaters on the surface. There are two big safety issues that I frequently see with divers towing flags:

1. Attaching the line to the diver.
Under no circumstances would I recommend clipping, tying, or otherwise securely connecting the flag line to the diver. There are plenty of reports about jackass boaters stealing dive flags from the surface, and gunning the motor without first cutting the line. Obviously, this could create a one-way ticket to a runaway ascent. Unknowing divers have forgotten to let out sufficient line, and inadvertently had the flag float pull them to the surface.

Most commonly, though, clipping the line to one's person immediately results in decreased awareness of the line which in turn leads to #2...

2. Failure to properly manage the line.
It really doesn't matter if the line floats or sinks. It doesn't matter if it #18 braided line, or 1/4" polypropylene rope. If the diver fails to keep the slack wound in, it's just a matter of time before there is a bird's nest of line either floating to the surface, laying on the bottom, or (most often) tumbling about mid-water like a giant underwater spaghetti monster.

When this happens, it's a sure bet that somebody is going to get the stuff caught on a tank valve, or in a fin strap.

Simplicity

The flag & associated equipment should not unnecessarily distract the diver from the dive, or prevent them from being able to effectively deal with an emergency situation. As is the case with many things, using the proper tools for the job is very important.

When towing a flag, it's important to try to keep all slack out of the line. If I drop down 5 feet, I let out about 5 feet of line. If I ascend a few feet, I bring in the slack while I'm ascending. . . not after I've leveled off. This is main reason that I personally don't like the big, plastic, yellow winder-thingies that are so popular with newer divers. Bringing in or letting out one 'wrap' of line from the winder is way too much for me. Additionally, 'big yellow' is just that. . .BIG. It's cumbersome and always in the way. Many of the most fantastic line tangles I've ever come across involved 'big yellow' and that 1/4" polypro rope.

Personally, I have a cheap 'ratchet' reel that's dedicated to flag use. I keep it wound with about 100' of #18 line. Although I wouldn't dream of using this reel for ANY other application, it actually works well for flag towing. The thumb release allows me to ease line out as needed, and the fact that the spool will click & lock about every 2" makes it simple to bring in just a few inches of line at a time - there's no separate control to lock the spool down. I purchased this reel years ago, once I realized that 'big yellow' was destined for the trash can.

With that being said, if I lost my ratchet-reel tomorrow I would probably not replace it. At this point, it's be just as easy to use a 100' finger spool. Just like a reel, though, a finger spool can be mis-used in many ways. Many people that insist that they "hate" finger spools have come to this conclusion because they were simply never shown how to use one properly.

I'll try to snap a couple of pictures of how my flag & reel are configured and add those later this evening.

Carl

The best way I have seen to do this is to have it attached to a small finger spool that is then attached to a shoulder ring in a harness. I tend to have more slack in the line then most so I do not have to constantly readjust as I change depth. I use a carabiner but if you want to be able to release it faster you could use a snap shackle instead.

After hundreds of shore dives, and half a dozen flags, I've settled on using one of these ratcheting reels. In my experience, nothing has worked better, been easier to manage, or made flag towing less obtrusive:
AQURR.JPG

What we did was use a truck or car inner tube with a basket the fits the opening securing it with rope around the out side of the tube .The basket did not have any holes so we put them in so the basket actually filled with water Which offers it self as a cooler . With the rope that is wrapped around the tube it is on six side making it very secure .

The advantage to this is we are able with a double ender connect or dive bags full of lobsters to it while we surface swim to shore .We also keep bottled water and some Gatorade which keeps cool by the water .It is also nice if with a long surface swim meet at the tube and take a drink before the swim in .

As I am 56 and my sons are in they're early twenties it is also nice to walk out chest deep hold on the tube too put on your fins or take them off without stumbling .We also installed several inside to secure the Go Pro or Camera for the surface swims and extra catch bags .

With a piece of plastic solid pole our flag is mounted to it as far as towing it is very easy and less likely to tangle and we also tried using it as a float where all three of us use it boat diving we were able to keep three of us a float while they looked for us in the fog without the waves overcoming you.

Good to know I'm not the only one who recently experienced this (my first time towing a flag), and what a royal PITA it is.....as if there's not enough other stuff to keep track of and deal with underwater. FL law requires a dive flag as I'm sure most states do. Boat diving is not as bad as they handle that aspect. Shore diving a couple of weeks ago was my fist time having to deal with it, and it wasn't pleasant.

It gets easier but is always more enjoyable without.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added August 16th, 2013 at 05:52 PM ----------

After hundreds of shore dives, and half a dozen flags, I've settled on using one of these ratcheting reels. In my experience, nothing has worked better, been easier to manage, or made flag towing less obtrusive:
View attachment 163483

I use one of these as well but plan to get something with a thicker cord. I had the current change at bhb at it got threaded into my tank buckle. There was no way to get the string out without unbuckling my tank. A thicker rope would have prevented this issue.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Since I always bring a large SLR rig, I really prefer not to be 'flag boy' on our south florida drift dives. But when I am flag boy it's usually one of those plastic yellow dohickies and I place my right arm through the large hole once we hit 'cruising' depth so I have both hands free. However this configuration is going to be problematical if the flag catches onto something (like a boat). :shocked2:

I do not like using reels. I have a custom made aluminum holder (kind of like you would use for a kite) that I hold onto and wind manually. It is about the size of a magazine and never gets tangled. I have no problems towing it, but with the reel it was a nightmare.

Yes, reels can get tangled (some of them, I guess). This is why I do like using the "paddle". If your depth doesn't vary much you can also slip it onto your arm.

Here in the kelp forests of soCal, towing a dive flag would be incredibly difficult.

View attachment 163483

This is the same kind of reel I use on mine. The lever makes it easy to just put a thumb on it, yank a little, and let out line when you descend. Although it does require a bit of extra attention, I've never found towing a flag to be all that difficult or detract from my dive. It's just part of shore diving to me. Sure, people occasionally get tangled in my line (I've done it enough that I'm rarely the one getting tangled any more) but I just untangle them. I'd much rather tow the flag than pop up without notice and get run over by a boat!

I never, ever loop the line or plastic around my wrist. A boat or whatever comes by and catches on the flag, and your hand is done. I will sometimes throw a few rocks in my catch bag and then attach the flag to it, and then just rest the whole situation on the ground. Then I can hunt/look around/whatever in the area without holding it.

Back
Top Bottom