Any thoughts on using a J1 or V1 as a dive camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bronccat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am too cheap to buy a real DSLR housing

That and watching a buddy come up with a flooded D80 a few years ago did it for me too....

That's sweet

One of the reasons I was liking the J1 / V1 because of the F mount adapter so I could borrow my wife's lenses :) and make this my land camera when my wife isn't using it diving

I ordered the J1, etc and will build from there - we'll see how things go

I have used my nikon v1 with a Polaroid housing when I was diving in belize earlier this year. It worked well considering the was no strobe available. Already considering how I can mount a video light in the future to help out a bit

So how did things go?

Horribly

The housing that Cameta had (Polaroid) wouldn't allow for the flash to open - so no strobe trigger.

I returned the whole kit.

Instead we are back using the Nikon 4600 / 5600s and have added two reconditioned Intova ISS 200 strobes for $65 each, cables for $19 each and $15 shipping.

6 month warranty.

These strobes seem to work quite well - first real test in two weeks on the Brac.

Ok, thanks both for the info! It seems the issue is the housing then. I see there is a Nikon housing for sale at B&H (on back order though). It seems to allow you to use the flash to trigger a strobe even though the flash is blocked by the opaque housing. Looks like there is a fiber optic connection. I wonder if this is compatible with my YS-02 strobe.

Ok, thanks both for the info! It seems the issue is the housing then. I see there is a Nikon housing for sale at B&H (on back order though). It seems to allow you to use the flash to trigger a strobe even though the flash is blocked by the opaque housing. Looks like there is a fiber optic connection. I wonder if this is compatible with my YS-02 strobe.

Def housing issue - I knew about the Nikon housing just didn't want to spend that much $$

Yeah, it definitely costs too much. And I am not sure how good the camera itself is underwater. I am thinking about this one because I have a D90 body and a few lenses. If I get the j3 with the kit lens, I can get an adapter to use some of the other lenses with it.

Has anyone shot manual with the j3, how do you find it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom