Stuart Cove - Nassau Bahamas - Trip Report (with link to pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heading down next week on the 17th. Hopefully Chantal will not affect us. Anyone have any interesting must sees on any of the dives with Stuarts? What was your favorite dive location if we happen to hit up the same one? Thanks

There was one dive site that really surprised me as it was so full of life. It was a great second dive. I do not recall the name however it has a plaque dedicated to a young lady that past before her time in Mexico. If you tell that to the dive masters I am sure they will know which reef I am referring to. You could also pm. my dive buddy Radhal who is a lot more obsessive then me about notating dive sites and he might know the name.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Going with a couple buddies. Staying at the Sheraton resort. Not expecting much. Going more for the diving. Have read reviews that the food and drinks can be a bit overpriced at the hotel and to either hit up the grocery or local spots for dinner. Someone said to check out
Fish Fry in Arawak Cay for dinner and drinks. Any other suggestions? We are doing two 4 dive days at stuarts. Are there any places around to grab some lunch or maybe a nap? I dig the signature "If I should die......." So true!!!!

We are doing two 4 dive days at stuarts. Are there any places around to grab some lunch or maybe a nap?

We'll be there in november to do six days of 4-tank dives, and I'm curious too about things to do in between the AM and PM dives.

We'll be there in november to do six days of 4-tank dives, and I'm curious too about things to do in between the AM and PM dives.

Between the AM and PM dives you will have just enough time to grab lunch. There is nothing nearby but Coves has a pretty nice grill going with hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken burger or fish burger. It was pretty tasty and also very reasonably priced. If you eat fast you might get your nap!!

---------- Post added July 9th, 2013 at 08:36 PM ----------

Thanks for the info. Going with a couple buddies. Staying at the Sheraton resort. Not expecting much. Going more for the diving. Have read reviews that the food and drinks can be a bit overpriced at the hotel and to either hit up the grocery or local spots for dinner. Someone said to check out
Fish Fry in Arawak Cay for dinner and drinks. Any other suggestions? We are doing two 4 dive days at stuarts. Are there any places around to grab some lunch or maybe a nap? I dig the signature "If I should die......." So true!!!!

The Sheraton was nice enough although we never saw much of it. Very much a party scene especially at night. We never ate at the Sheraton but rather went to Fish Fry twice. Fish Fry is not a single restaurant but rather an area and when the cab drops you off do not go into the first place you see but rather walk the street and see what the options are. Some are more vibes and others more local. We chose local and it was a good choice. Again I suck with names. Also Fish Fry will cost you $15 each way for the cab and so that has to be factored in to the price. There were a couple of places near the hotel but none would classify as cheap.

awesome pics, thanks for sharing!! Was one of those sharks badly injured around the mouth and jaw? Poor sharky. We just returned from Exuma and Long Island and saw nurse, black tips and one bull (briefly - we got out of the water after that!)

awesome pics, thanks for sharing!! Was one of those sharks badly injured around the mouth and jaw? Poor sharky. We just returned from Exuma and Long Island and saw nurse, black tips and one bull (briefly - we got out of the water after that!)

Yes, the shark with the damaged jaw is known as the Joker.

Probably did not need to get out of the water for the bull shock but each needs to be ok with their own comfort level.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks for the trip report. We are looking for a dive vacation over Christmas, and Nassau is certainly the cheapest airfare (we will be coming from Orlando for a wedding, and returning to SFO).

Is it all about sharks and shark feeding in Nassau? Your report did mention that there is more to see, but I really don't want to go on a set of dives where the focus is going to be on feeding sharks if that's what most of the people come for. I'd rather go to another place, another operator, or another island. I'm happy to dive with (most) sharks in their natural habitat, I just don't want to be part of a feeding or to a dive site where the sharks are usually fed.

Also we would be looking for a vacation rental so we can cook our food separately (and hopefully save a few bucks).

Thanks again for the Trip Report.

Bill

Most of Stuart Cove's diving isn't about shark feeding--there are several wrecks, reefs and walls where they dive away from where the feedings are done. But that being said, we saw sharks on almost every dive we have done with them, just many more of them near the feeding sites.

The sharks are certainly a big draw, but there are nice reefs (eg Pumpkin Patch) and many easy wrecks to dive (purposefuly sunk for many movie sets, eg James Bond). That said, if it weren't for the sharks I would not have chosen to dive Nassau though. I would do at least one shark experience coupled with a couple of other 2 tank dives and you won't be disappointed. I cannot help on the rental question. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom