Finding Buddies? (Michigan)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everybody.

I'm a pretty new diver in the Detroit area. I got my OW last year, but have since been unable to find anybody I know that dives.

How do people usually find dive buddies? I see information about dive events every so often and would often like to go, but I've never done so because I don't know what the likelihood of finding someone to buddy up with is, especially with me being so new. I stopped into a dive shop the other day to see if they had buddy board or something and they directed me to the internet, which led me here.

Anyone got any tips? I'd love to get back into the water before the end of the summer.

CostlierClover,

Definately take the time to go to any advertised event. At almost all events is it easy to talk with other people and pair up with someone to dive. The Great Lakes Wrecking Crew has a spring and a fall Meet and Greet. If at all possible, MAKE IT TO THAT EVENT! :) We meet at Gilboa Quarry in Ohio and it is a weekend long diving event. It is EXTREMELY easy to find dive buddies there and the group gets in a lot of dives for the weekend. This is also the place that trips get talked about and planned for the season. This fall the event is October 18-20th (check out the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew area on Scubaboard for the thread on that event). Also on Facebook there are some good groups to join as well. The Great Lakes Wrecking Crew has a page, Third Coast Divers, St. Clair River Scuba Divers, and For the Love of Diving are all great pages to check into and become a member of.

If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Enjoy Diving!
Mike

There is a meet and greet the first Monday of every month at divers incorporated in AnnArbor. It usually has a fairly decent turnout. I drive out there from Livonia.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Motor City Scuba and Snorkel Center in Novi has a dive club that meets the first Monday of every month, they're a great group of folks to dive with. Also, shoot me a PM, my wife and I are planning to head down to northern Ohio for a quarry dive one of these weekends, you're more than welcome to dive with us.

Don't know which shop referred you to the internet, but check out Rec Diving in Royal Oak, on Woodward. They run weekend trips to the Straits and Munising, and frequently have people going to Gilboa or diving the St Clair river. They normally organize some ice diving in the winter, along with Caribbean trips. It's a very social bunch.

Hey everybody.

I'm a pretty new diver in the Detroit area. I got my OW last year, but have since been unable to find anybody I know that dives.

How do people usually find dive buddies? I see information about dive events every so often and would often like to go, but I've never done so because I don't know what the likelihood of finding someone to buddy up with is, especially with me being so new. I stopped into a dive shop the other day to see if they had buddy board or something and they directed me to the internet, which led me here.

Anyone got any tips? I'd love to get back into the water before the end of the summer.

Hey, I live in metro Detroit too and I just got finished my OW dives this past weekend. My LDS is Rec Diving in Royal Oak. I'm thinking about heading to Gilboa Quarry maybe September 14-15, if you're interested in going.

CostlierClover and Shift,

I've had some success going to Whitestar and asking people if they mind me diving with them but honestly, I find it a little uncomfortable doing this. I too, am without a regular dive buddy or group. If either of you are interested, maybe we can group up at Whitestar or other quarry one weekend in September and see if we can't establish our own dive group. I can almost always escape family life for either Saturday or Sunday, most weekends. Let me know if your interested.

Mike

Hey, Mike. My uncle & I are actually hitting Gilboa next weekend, if you want to jump in with us we're doing our night diving open water Saturday night, but we also plan on doing daytime diving as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom