Another CO tank tester choice - cheaper than the rest...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the looks of it, this analyzes just CO (carbon monoxide). Is this correct? So wouldn't be sufficient for Nitrox in measuring O2?

Any analyzer's out there that test for both?
I've read that having the two sensors built into a unit can cause problems.

Looks like they raised their prices. The basic one is now $149 and the scuba kit is $179.

I think I'll pass until prices go back down.

Weird. I bought the scuba kit one last night, and it was $159. Although, that was more than the OP had said they were, and now you're saying they've raised the prices again.

Looks like they raised their prices. The basic one is now $149 and the scuba kit is $179.
Oops...! :eek:

Weird. I bought the scuba kit one last night, and it was $159. Although, that was more than the OP had said they were, and now you're saying they've raised the prices again.
I'm not really sure where I got the $152? I didn't keep notes and looking back over the previous thread that lead to this, I'm still not sure. It does look like the scuba add-on kit was a $30 upgrade then, so $159 checks - and now they've gone up $20 on both the basic CO detector and the industrial model. Sorry about the confusion. :silly:

And I certainly don't know anything about the $20 increase? Costs & expenses change. :idk: Prices go up sometimes. I guess they could come down sometime, but who knows. Still an economical alternative.

So how much was the shipping? Looks like Priority mail to Texas is $15.

I don't see that as a problem, there are lots of confined space monitors with 3-, 4-, or 5-gas sensors. The one I use at work has O2, HsS, CO and %LEL. The original unit was built for one thing, finding combustion gas leaks, so all it needed to test for is CO. All they did to make it a SCUBA sensor is add a connection adapter.

That said, it looks like a reasonable value at $179.

That is utter nonsense.

You could very easily separate the circuits (as in completely isolate them) and have two different outputs on a single display. Someone saying it would cause problems simply isn't thinking about options and/or wants to sell 2 separate units. The reality is it really wouldn't save you a lot of extra money over buying two units (though it would save on possible things to break/lose/forget on a trip) because the circuits themselves are the expensive part; the display and housing is quite cheap.

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 AM ----------

This wasn't that long ago - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...ding-systems/458853-why-i-own-co-monitor.html

Someone mentioned a group buy in that thread. What is the possibility of getting this one on a group buy? I agree this is already a great price, but who doesn't want to save a couple more dollars, and it may be the incentive for some people to get one who wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm planning to purchase something soon so I'd be very interested in a group purchase. Anyone willing to coordinate?

I just spoke with Carissa at sensorcon and it looks like buying in bulk will net us probably (she's not sure yet) $5 off for 2-9 units or $10 off for 10 or more units. They currently have 7 of the scuba kits in stock.

Last edited:
That is utter nonsense.

You could very easily separate the circuits (as in completely isolate them) and have two different outputs on a single display. Someone saying it would cause problems simply isn't thinking about options and/or wants to sell 2 separate units. The reality is it really wouldn't save you a lot of extra money over buying two units (though it would save on possible things to break/lose/forget on a trip) because the circuits themselves are the expensive part; the display and housing is quite cheap.

Ok, thanks. That reminds me of the early days of portable phones and voice mail machines, when they first combined them. No money saved, and I figured I only wanted to risk one going out at at time - so I kept them separate. Now it would be handy to have one portable unit that you could hold up to a valve, checking for O2 first, then switching to CO - if it was still small. I just wonder about marketing?

I'm planning to purchase something soon so I'd be very interested in a group purchase. Anyone willing to coordinate?

I just spoke with Carissa at sensorcon and it looks like buying in bulk will net us probably (she's not sure yet) $5 off for 2-9 units or $10 off for 10 or more units. They currently have 7 of the scuba kits in stock.
It's been done. Maybe someone will, but too many headaches for me. I don't think you'd save enough to offset the trouble and extra shipping costs, but maybe...?

Considering it was $20 cheaper on like Monday, I will pass for now.

Considering it was $20 cheaper on like Monday, I will pass for now.
Yeah, it was unfortunate timing for this thread; I wish I'd opened it with the current price in play. No one likes a price increase. It just kills me when gas goes up a dime, even tho that's only a buck fifty at the pump on my old coot's car. :cool:

And I am a big fan of the Analox EII CO portable unit as well as the company's dedication to serving divers, more so than pleasing agencies. You certainly can't go wrong there. It costs twice as much and with the GBPound gaining on the USDollar, it might go up too - but it's still a great investment in safe diving.

:laughing: When I first got interested in tank testing and eliminating this risk, I really wanted to use a battery powered home monitor. Loved the price, and I am cheap, but they are not even in the ballpark for serving our needs. I carry one in my car and for hotel rooms. It gets baked when I park in the Texas sun for an afternoon and I have had to send it back for replacement once, but the company was nice about it. There are better units for cars so maybe I'll talk myself into springing for one? :idk: I use a couple of AC/DC units at home, one also monitoring for natural gas leaks.

The first unit I tried was the Pocket CO, and it's still available for $125 on some sites. It can be used with freezer quality ziplock bags for tank testing, I've done it many times - but it is a hassle, the unit has a lot of shortcomings - especially in cross contamination, and mine failed last time I tried to calibrate it so I decided against replacing the sensor.

$159 vs $179 for this Inspector unit with Scuba tank adapter is indeed a $20 surprise, but honestly - not a significant problem if you want to guarantee safe tanks. If you want to keep it as cheap as possible tho, you could get the $149 basic unit, then make your own tank adapter as fully described in the other thread linked in post #1. It's a pretty impressive general purpose detector as well and I am tempted to get one of those! The more general US news I read about Carbon Monoxide, the more it seems we're discovering - injuries & deaths in all sorts of normal activities: boating, camping, driving, cafes, etc. I haven't done any caving in years, but if I did - I'd want to carry some monitor. Ok here it is for $145 & free shipping: Tough, Waterproof, Made in USA: Carbon Monoxide Tester & Meter (CO Tester & Meter) - CO Inspector, Portable CO Detector Meter & Tester for Monitoring or Analyzing CO - Amazon.com

Back
Top Bottom