Shark diving in Bahamas question ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did both Blackbeard and Stuart Cove earlier this year. Saw very few sharks on dives other than the feeding dives. There were plenty (dozens) on both feeding dives though. Blackbeard fed them using a frozen baitfish suspended "high" above the divers while Stuart Cove hand fed them at the bottom. Made for different camera perspectives.

See my Dive Dry with Dr. Bill newspaper columns about Blackbeard (Part I and Part II) and Stuart Cove.

I liked Stuart Cove's. They will pick you up from your hotel and take you back afterwards. Here is a short video to give you an idea what it is like.

[video=youtube_share;BTzc1xDcyN8]http://youtu.be/BTzc1xDcyN8[/video]

Here is a video I produced for the Long Beach SCUBA Show this year about why I don't worry about diving with (most) sharks. It features footage from the Bahamas dives:

[video=youtube;6A0EKDX7DWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0EKDX7DWw&list=UUNsNlOpytV0zid_Awi3FChg& feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Nice video, drbill. I like the statistics at the end.

When we dove on the Aqua Cat, they also used a bait ball for their shark dive. I liked Stuart Cove's approach a little more because you get to watch them demonstrate tonic immobility.

I've been with both Stuart's Cove and Blackbeards. If you're judging it on the 'shark feeding' alone, Stuart's Cove wins. If you want to see sharks both feeding and in more natural habitats, Blackbeards wins hands down.

Like DrBill said above, Blackbeards uses a sharkcicle suspended 20' away and 20' up. The sharks are all above you and your angle for photographs is less than stunning. Stuart's Cove performs theirs on the sandy bottom with the baitbox and DM who is feeding the sharks about 20' away from you on a horizontal plane. The reef sharks will swim very close and you will get plenty of dramatic shots. You may even come into contact with one..... My son is accused of greenscreening one photograph by his friends because it is a stunning picture of sharks swimming by him close enough to touch.

For a more natural exposure, in the 18 dives we did with Blackbeards, I would say that I saw a reef or nurse shark on at least a third of them. YMMV, but after the feeding dive were when some of the best photos were captured...

Great Video, Dr. Bill, and wonderful statistics at the end. A clear description of what it is like for each operator too, especially when combined with Primalchrome's description. Thanks to both of you!

Now, where can we stay that's a good vacation rental and not too pricey?

- Bill

Now, where can we stay that's a good vacation rental and not too pricey?

Our wives insisted that we stay at Atlantis (their TV advertising works). I cannot say that it is inexpensive, but it turns out that we really enjoyed it.

The water park is fun, and they have several nice aquariums spread out in the various hotels in the complex. My favorite was the one that had some HUGE SAWFISH - creatures I had never seen before.

If you click on the "My Video Gallery" link below, I have a short video ("Journey to Atlantis" - NOT "Atlantis Sculptures at Cayman Brac") that will give you a feel for the main Atlantis hotel and the waterpark.

Captain Sinbad,

If it's sharks you want, you might wish to consider Tiger Beach.

I stayed at the Towne Hotel in Nassau. Reasonably priced, well located and fine for my needs. Your mileage may vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom