Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to tap the side of the bell, not the tentacles. If you tap the tentacles, their primitive system reacts "FOOD!!!" ;-)

Late summer and early fall is the season. The sun makes the green grow. The green makes the nettles grow. Thank the nettles, they improve the vis.

I think I have a list of things to try out tomorrow. J/K
Dave,
So how was it today? If I'd known earlier yesterday that you were going out today, I would have paired with you. But it was too late to reach you when I saw your note. I'm thinking of going tomorrow (Friday), even though Lana told me today that everybody was reporting zip visibility. The best I got out of her was 10-20 at N. Monastery. I don't care! After spending all last weekend in the pool, I'm ready for the real thing.

Hey Bruce. I'll let you know next time. Breakwater had about 15ft vis. I had a Cormorant all over me for about 10min. It bit my calf (didn't hurt) it bit my strobe, fins and pecked at my camera. He kept coming back down 4 or 5 times. On my way back in he was all over me again. Breakwater had a bacteria advisory. I didn't see any dookie in the water so I figured why not. There were other divers coming in and out too so I guess it was ok.
Here's a link to the Cormorant. Water is kind of green.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/9575043592/in/photostream

Dove Coral St. Late this afternoon. Vis was surprisingly nice at about 15-20 feet. Once below 30 feet in depth, there is a nasty plankton bloom forming and I would expect it to take over in the next few days. Still tons of YOY in the water (mostly blues). Water temp was 55 degrees and lots of fish out. It was a good afternoon.

Went out at Lover's #3 about noon, and it was pretty much what MbWaterdog said about Coral St. on Thursday. The deeper I went, the greener it got. Below about 35 fsw, visibility could not have been more than 5'. Still, I had fun. I got a new video light--a Sola 2000S/F, and was eager see what it could do. I'm sure I could put together a video of the takes I got that would make it look like fabulous diving! You just have to get up close enough and have a bright enough light, way out on an arm.

Any spots in particular good for seeing the nettle invasion?

Breakwater and Del Monte is where I've seen them thickest. I'd imagine all along Monterey side of things. Carmel did not seem affected as much from my experience. You also have to have an invasion to see.

Any spots in particular good for seeing the nettle invasion?
I was out in Monterey Bay both Friday and Saturday and didn't see a one. That's quite OK by me! It's a little early in the year for them, but you know they are coming soon. When they do, it will be clusters of them at first. They will typically show up in over 40 fsw at first, then move shallower later. Hopefully, we won't go beyond the roving cluster phase this year. I have seen the whole bay choked with them, and so thick that they limited your visibility. Meaning, as you look out, all you see are Chrysaora. The video Dave posted was really a mild invasion. When they do come, you can find them anywhere in Monterey Bay. You cannot avoid them.

In the video you can see a cloud over Mubins head of solid jellies. They are fun to watch and film but then they wont go away and let you dive. Going vertically through them I haven't been stung. Going horizontal I got zapped. Like Bruce said you can't avoid them when they get real bad.

Did a couple of fun dives at the Breakwater---well, actually, the same dive twice. Surfaced kicked to the 7, dropped and followed the bottom of the wall 'til half air, then returned along the 25' contour and surfaced right where we started.

Saw several Lingcod, had a cormorant hunting in my lights, were buzzed by sea lions and checked out the sea nettles.

The vis was as reported before---a green and murky 10' at depth and better than 15' shallower. There was a noticeable thermocline with a visible mixing layer. I didn't check the temp during the dives but my computer recorded it at 50F (add 3-4 degrees to that). It was sunny and a flat calm made for easy entries and exits. The classes were in full swing so I was lucky to find a good parking space at 8am, though two cars soon left and my buddy was able to park next to me.

To harsh your mellow a little, by way of a PSA, I want to share this sad tableau that preceded the dives: Just before the south bound Del Monte exit the police and fire department were cleaning up an accident scene. There was a bashed up SUV facing the wrong way on the shoulder, another vehicle down the embankment, and gurney with a shrouded body.

Drive, and dive, safe folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom