Weight of water around you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil:
No! A ton is imperial, a tonne is metric.

I actually thought about this issue prior to starting this thread. I gave figures in lbs and kg since I'm 'bilingual' that way and because i did the computations in mks units. I gaves tons in short tons because that's what I'm used to, and more importantly thats what google gives you if you enter "XXXX kg in tons" into the google calculator. And I neglected to give metric tonnes because I had hoped that people who could speak metric could do the math...

mania:
If I have a truck loaded with 2 tons of sand it means it's loaded with 2 thousand kilograms of sand.
Is that context clear?

Not in the U.S. you wouldn't. If that truck is loaded with sand it is loaded with 4000lbs of sand or 2 short tons. More commonly it would be loaded by volume, i.e., 4 buckets from a 1/2 ton end loader bucket. Moisture content is a big factor. It is all based on the short ton though. Construction materials, sand, gravel, concrete etc. has been my families business for 40 years.
The context is clear but the content is inaccurate.

RichLockyer:
Ya, but that would make me over 400kg, which SOUNDS like nearly a quarter of a ton, and after fighting like heck for the last 4 months to shed 25 pounds, I am NOT going to admit to gaining over 220 units of anything.

If it makes you feel any better, I quite often put 1500 pounds in my half-ton truck :)

Rich, if you weighed 400kg, then that equals 881.04 pounds. I think you multiplied or divided the wrong way.

Are we talking about fresh water or salt water?

Seems like we have to add about 3% to what ever number we choose.... not that 3% will make a ton of difference :)

using saltwater and 2000lb tons (not tonnes) I get just over 14.5 fill-in-you-own-units-here.

MikeC:
Rich, if you weighed 400kg, then that equals 881.04 pounds. I think you multiplied or divided the wrong way.
Oops.
Hmm....
85kg? Not bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom