Turks & Caicos - Where to dive? Who to dive with? Where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say get a car. last time we took a cab to Hole in the Wall but we were waiting for the cab driver to pick us up and he first sent someone else, who never showed and we waited.... he did show up eventually and as soon as we got out of the cab the Caicos Express rep was there as the the flight was leaving early! Grace bay car rentals does day rentals, $55ish I believe. We spent $25 alone going 5mins and back in cab fare!

btw if you want booze ask Debbie to order in advance and I've been told Porters will have stock but you'll have to check with them. Even though I'm not going back for a while Porters Island Time has a regularly updated blog so you can get a feel of the island, I still check it on a reg. basis.

If you want home made bread ask Debbie/Porter to order a loaf hand made by Nettie. good stuff!

Don't know about Fridays but I decided to leave on Sat again. Sat right before the end of the 2 week Christmas break. I got duty free and 2 mins later I was boarding, a little TOO close. I checked bags at 10am and left for lunch, came back at 12 and thought I was so smart when I saw the HUGE line and expected to walk right right past it.... Only the line was for security and we'd have to be in it!!!! man that was close.

Have fun.

Don't know if it's too late, but several years ago (2006) when we went to Turks & Caicos we dove with Fifi @ Caicos Adventures. Fifi is amazing and he has some of the nicest non live aboard dive boats I've seen. He has a great operation that runs smoothly.

www.caicosadventures.com

Since you chose Grand Turk I will chime in. Disclaimer: My trip was before hurricane Ike essentially wiped out the island. Oasis divers and Osprey beach hotel were good choices. Dale and her team were awesome! Great wall diving followed by great wall diving. Oh yeah, did mention it was wall diving!!! Vis was good and it was a pretty special place. Very low key, relaxed and you make friends with the locals pretty quickly.

I do remember that the commuter airlines had some pretty restrictive baggage limits so watch that. I suggest you, research it ahead of time.

Bottom line is, very casual, great diving, and friendly people. A bit of a challenge to get there which is why it is a cut above I guess.

I just returned from a fabulous trip to Salt Cay. It was fabulous. Totally relaxing and the diving was amazing. We stayed at Castaways, and it was a little slice of paradise. (Fortunately we were in the room with the most direct wind, so the heat wasn't overwhelming at night even though it was very hot.) Great vis, we say some Caribbean reef sharks, nurse sharks, and tons of other amazing fish. Can't wait to go back someday!

We did end up taking a cab to a restaurant in Provo on our way out. I planned to rent a car, but I wanted to have a drink or two at lunch and was also nervous about driving on the "wrong" side of the street. Fortunately we asked our cabbie to pick us up in the same location at 1:30 and he was right on time. (Early in fact.)

The provo airport is truly a zoo, though. We didn't have to wait long for security, but there was no place to sit so we sweltered at the bar on the roof. Rumor has it they're building a new airport that will be there in a few years?

Thanks for all the great tips.

I just returned to the States from Turks and Caicos last night. I stayed in Grace Bay at the Royal West Indies, which was nice. I dove with Dive Provo, but I heard good things about Blue Water Divers as well (from a local). I LOVED Dive Provo: they were extremely professional, I felt safe diving with them, and they all love what they do. If you decide to Dive with them, book in advance or at least book tentatively. As for dive sites, I went to West Caicos and Northwest Point, both of which were phenomenal. From my experience, which isn't saying a whole lot :), definitely aim for West Caicos, French Cay, Northwest Point... I didn't get to dive French Cay because it was too windy, but I heard that and Emerald Point were great. My personal favorite was Northwest Point - we saw dolphins while diving (dive site - 2 Step)!!!!!! :)

---------- Post added August 25th, 2013 at 11:58 AM ----------

PS. DO NOT FLY OUT of the Turks airport on a Saturday!!!!!! It was so bad that it almost made me never want to go back!

I say rent a car while you're on Provo, especially if you're going to get groceries. We were going to Middle Caicos a couple of years ago and asked the cab to make a stop at the airport. For some reason, he called another cab and transferred all of our luggage and had this other guy wait for us while we were shopping. We ended up having to pay 2 cab fares, which are really over-priced in my opinion. I'd much rather have the freedom to come and go as I please.

There is a smaller grocery store and a liquor store closer to the airport. I forget the name, but it is on the right side of the road after you turn towards Leeward Highway from the airport. If you're concerned about time, it might be better. Less selection than the IGA.

I really love Salt Cay. We stayed at Castaway which was heaven. You need to either rent bicycles or a golf cart if staying here though. It's about a 10 - 15 min bike ride or 5-10 min golf cart ride away from Porters and Salt Cay Divers. Probably better off to get an accommodations and diving package via Salt Cay Divers though (Castaway property management is via Porters so you'd pay a bit more). Castaway is the only accommodations on the island directly on a white sand beach (no AC).
If staying at a property managed by Porters, they will take your shopping list and try to fill it. I'm sure Debbie does the same thing if you book accommodations via Salt Cay Divers. Must have Debbie's Key Lime Pie...to die for.

On Grand Turk we stayed a few days at Bohio Dive Resort. But you might want to check the cruise ship terminal's schedule. If a cruise is in port on a day you are there, one of the excursions is a day at Bohio's beach. You go from peace and quiet to a madhouse in a matter of minutes. Other than that, it is a great little place with a great outdoor restaurant and bar. Good diving too.

On your way home, if you have 5-6 hours on Provo, go to Bay Bistro at Sibonne. We stayed here for a week and it was great. Before and/or after lunch you can play on the beach. I would pitch staying at Sibonne if you were still considering Provo. Small simple motel-style place, but right on Grace Bay beach and the restaurant is amazing, but pricey.

I was at Salt Cay divers some years back. The boat rides are short. The diving is good. It is an out island so it does not have all the amenities. But Salt Cay has something like 70 residents. I met about 50 of them. You can't be part of a small community in very many places. I really enjoyed it.

On your way home, if you have 5-6 hours on Provo, go to Bay Bistro at Sibonne. We stayed here for a week and it was great. Before and/or after lunch you can play on the beach. I would pitch staying at Sibonne if you were still considering Provo. Small simple motel-style place, but right on Grace Bay beach and the restaurant is amazing, but pricey.

Funny you mention this... it is exactly what we did. When I go back to Turks & Caicos, even though I'll probably go to Salt Cay I may add a day in provo, and I definitely thought "I'd stay here" as I went through Sibonne.

Funny you mention this... it is exactly what we did. When I go back to Turks & Caicos, even though I'll probably go to Salt Cay I may add a day in provo, and I definitely thought "I'd stay here" as I went through Sibonne.

It is the best kept secret in Provo. Shhh!

Back
Top Bottom