Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went by Monastery and it looked a bit murky from shore. Went over to Breakwater and was shocked to have 25ft+ vis. One of the best dives I've had here for vis. Stayed in the kelp and sandy area and enjoyed the sun shining through. I was told that the wall dropped off to 15-20ft as you got deeper. Here's a link to a video of conditions and one of a friendly Harbor Seal.
Flickr: davebaessler's Photostream

Short dive at McAbee today. There were several metered spots available when I arrived at 8am. Water was calm and warm (computer logged it at 53F---add 3 or 4 degrees to that). It was overcast and vis was 10 feet, maybe better in spots, so it was kind of dark. We never got very deep, 28 feet max. Lots of fish of various sizes. Buddy saw a few lingcod but I only saw one briefly. We had a harbor seal circling us, but it was shy and swam away when I approached it.

I left the scuba gear at home today and visited a site that I have not seen in close to twenty years, Garrapata State Park. Just had freediving gear, as you do have to hike down a small cliff. It's definitely doable in scuba gear but you need very good boots. I stayed fairly shallow within 30-40 feet. Strange that I could not see the bottom from the surface but I could clearly see the surface from the bottom. Had a mild to moderate surge through out. Wish I had my scuba gear as I could have gone into deeper waters. Hoping that the summer plankton bloom disappears and gives way to crystal clear waters.

North Monastery was a little rough and water looked like very poor vis from the surface. South was much better with about 15 ft vis. Talked to some divers who swam pretty far out and said vis improved to 20-25 but then dropped off as you got deeper. Looked at Wharf 2 for second dive but it looked very pea soupy. Second dive was Breakwater and had 15ft vis a little further out and less than 10ft in closer. The wall looked bad. Top side conditions were awesome in the high 70s.

We had 30-40 ft of vis at Lobos Rocks today. It got a little cloudy on the second dive and vis dropped a bit. Seas were a little rough coming back, even though the forecast was for fairly flat seas.

Back
Top Bottom