2nd stage hose too short?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novasquid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I both have scubapro mk25's and a g260 2nd stage with the oem hose connecting the two. With the 2nd stage in our mouths, any movement of our heads makes it feel like the 2nd stage is about to pop out of our mouths. The oem mouth piece feels too big as well.

Is it better to get a better fitting mouth piece, a longer 2nd stage hose, or both? What's an ideal hose length for the primary 2nd stage? Any recommendations for a proper fitting mouth piece?

Seacure custom mouthpiece is the way to go. Try a braided hose instead of rubber, lighter and more flexible. 26" or 28" length is usually about right for my back mount setups.

I second the seacure. I am missing a couple of teeth so the seacure is very secrure.

The braided hoses from DiveGearExpress.com are great, plus a 70degree lp swivel really helps.

1) upgrade to a 'flex' hose (Miflex or 'braded' as suggested above) (or maybe try out the 'universal' fit Atomic Aquatics swivel hose)
2) experiment with lengths, no 'ideal' length exists, everyone is different.
3) try Seacure (or Jax) Scubatoys sells both of these moldable mouthpiece types.

You'all might want to look into some new teeth. Your wife will be happy and you might even be able to do corn nuts again. Forget about the sugar daddies and mary jane's.

Just a thought, but are you sure you've got the hoses on the right LP port and the first mounted appropriately for the port you're using? The miflex hoses are fantastic, but I ended up with a shorter miflex than the stock SP hose.

Could your tanks be sitting too low on your back? The valve should be just behind and only a little bit below the center of your head.

All the previous posts have touched on the solution, and they're all correct.
It's important to analyze each component of your issue. With not a lot of dives under your belt, you'll have a lot of people telling you the "standard" way to proceed. And I'm here to say that you should feel free to deviate as soon as you're certified (which you are, so go ahead!). PADI is very rigid, but they have their reasons. But there's no point in a standard length hose if it doesn't fit the bill.

So, to your comment:
A reg pulling off to one side, or "wanting to come out" is usually a function of hose length or rigidity. Look at my picture in my profile. That was a rental rig from a vacation dive with a hose that was too long and had a stiff outer wrap. Terrible!
You've had the suggestions: Miflex is softer and will curl a little better, and length is a whole subject in itself. Let's set Miflex aside for a moment (though I dive with my primary on Miflex) and look at length. There is one ideal length for your primary based upon which port you route from (and is your regulator mounted "up" or "down"?). That length will be perfect with your head in the midline, but will also allow you reasonable head motion to either side. A Miflex hose of that exact length will give you a little more flexibility. The problem with Miflex is that occasionally it has a mind of its own with regard to how it lays in the water (probably due to its braided covering), and it may be frustrating if it wants to curl differently. That's tough to accept if you've just spent $35 on a Miflex hose.

But then with length, a new complication arises. The issue of "streamlining" and minimizing drag is complicated by your hoses. The longer your hose, the easier it will be to move your head from side to side. However, the longer your hose, the more it might stick out to the side, and drag in current or when you swim. You've heard the next suggestion in this regard: adding a 70-degree connector to your second stage. That's what I do, but it comes at the price of people telling me that I have yet another "failure point" in my system. But it allows me to position the hose so it approaches the reg slightly from below, so when I turn my head, there's no pulling on the hose at all.

To be honest, though, you'll probably get more criticism than you're prepared to answer at this stage of your career, if you start lengthening your hose and adding an angled connector.

The last piece was addressed first: your mouthpiece. All this talk of the Seacure neglected your comment about possibly needing a smaller mouthpiece. The Seacure is big. I might suggest a mouthpiece with the silicone pads on it, as it is easy to clench and is smooth on the outside, while not going so far into your mouth. That's this one: Scuba Diving Black Silicone Octopus Snorkel Mouthpiece Color Tab Regulator Tie | eBay for the cheap version, and this one for the expensive Atomic Aquatics version: Atomic Aquatics Regulator Dual-silicone Comfort-fit Mouthpiece - Pink

Another possiblity is the Comfo-bite. Some folks swear by them, but they're too short for me. It's worth $10 to try. Aqua Lung.. Comfo-bite Silicone Regulator Mouthpiece 127826 with reviews at scuba.com Get some zip ties from the hardware store and just try different ones until you're happy. You have a great second stage in the G260, and the weight outside the water and size under the water are less important than its great performance. Don't let someone talk you out of it just because they think it's "heavy."

In summary, I'd plan on spending $50 trying two or three different hoses (or PM me - I'll mail you a selection of tested used hoses for cheap from my shop repair regs until you've got your length down). Also plan on $20 for a variety of mouthpieces until you're happy. Only then would I consider Miflex and long hoses with connectors. By then you'll have your preferences down, and will be ready to meet the criticism from someone who does it differently. The ideal hose length will change as your diving style evolves.

After 25 years, I dive a 5' hose clipped to my BC, that comes from below onto a 70-degree connector to my second stage. This way, I can hand off my primary to my buddy or another diver and let them have as much or as little separation from me as is appropriate, and the swivel allows them any position they want (facing me or parallel). Then, I breathe off my octopus, which is as good as my primary, and is on a very short hose (shorter than would be comfortable in some cases). They can grab my octo if they want, and that will put us in standard PADI hugging position. But I'd only do that with a regular dive buddy, because I know my buddy is not likely to panic, while he/she's only 1 foot away.

Have fun experimenting. Accept that it could cost you a few $$ (PM me if money is tight, or even if not). Then believe that what works for you is "right" no matter what someone else might say, until you change your mind again for good reason. I wish that you could just "buy a set of gear" and have it work, but as you've discovered, it's a very personal thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom