What's YOUR Favorite Shark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've encountered a whaleshark, many bulls, and countless blacktips and whitetips. None of these are my favourite. By far my fav is the hammerhead .... not seen one yet, but we have an annual migration here, it is possible to see dozens and dozens, so I DO NOT plan on missing it again this year!

I've dived with whitetip reefsharsk, blacktip reefsharks, grey reefsharks, nurse sharks, leopard sharks, whale sharks, and bullsharks. The whale sharks are definitely in a league of their own, but nurse sharks were definitely some of the most interesting, as they don't seem to mind being very close, close enough to touch, and there's not much risk of an unprovoked attack, so nice big shark, very close, with low risk is definitely a nice experience. Mind you there was shark feeding in the area(at one particular resort), so these nurse sharks were very used to being close to divers.

I definitely want to see hammerheads(the one hammerhead possibility dive I did was a bust), wobbegongs, angelsharks and dogfish though(especially dogfish should be a nice experience, but unfortunately it's mainly cold water diving, and/or too deep for recreational diving).

Tiger Shark, I'd love to see one, actually any and all sharks, particularly the big players, Bulls, Oceanic White Tips, Great White, Thresher, Six Gill, Bronze Whaler, Mako, Great Hammerhead, OK I'll stop now. I've been interested in sharks since I was about 6 it was the main reason I got into diving but unfortunately have only seen 7 sharks in the wild, sadly I've dove with more in aquariums.

As with so many others here I'm finding it so hard to choose! Thresher, whale, white, tiger and scalloped and great hammerheads all come to mind, but then wobbegong, mackerel, oceanic white-tip and blue would be amazing to see as well. As a shark virgin I'd probably explode with excitement if even a local tope or lesser spotted dogfish swam past me when out snorkelling, so I'm pretty unimaginably envious and amazed by the stories here of seeing great whites cageless etc.

So i just found this on the web sight of the instructors I dive with thought it was apropos for this thread

i love the nurse sharks !! so cute n cuddly!! DSC_0963.jpg

I've dived with hammerheads, Galapegos, reef,nurse and whale sharks and I snorkeled with an Oceanic Whitetip. The Whitetip was very spooky, seemed to want to keep an eye on us and would start to close in on is unless we faced it. That was thrilling, yet frightening. If I'd known more about Oceanics at the time, I probably would have been even more afraid.
The whale sharks are great. I'd love to see a Basking shark and a wobbegong.

Got to say the Leopard shark..... Would love to encounter one some day soon!

The only shark that scares me is the local loan shark. Pool sharks are not my favorite either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom