Need some advice : Cozumel tip in a few weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
The wife and I are going on a cruise in a few weeks and our first port will be Cozumel. Being that she has never been to Mexico, she doesn't want to devote the entire day to being offshore diving. My first idea was Chankanaab Park where we could relax on the beach and we could do a quick dive there. I've heard that its very touristy. I'm wondering if there are any other, maybe better choices. I wouldn't mind a less crowded place granted they have good food and a decent dive (any diving is better than none).

Any similar suggestions welcome?

Thanks.

Edit: I just spoke to Aldora divers and they can setup a late departure 1 tank dive for us, leaving us the rest of the afternoon to explore Cozumel. That's my new plan for now.

Last edited:
Chankanab has equipment rentals/ tanks at a booth on the beach. They require you to dive with their guide. Cavern entrance is cool where the cenotes empty into the beach. Last time I was there I saw several sea horses. Still, I'd do a six pack boat dive.

Ideally Aldora could take you to a shallow reef where the wife could snorkel. Then drop you off at a beach club.

Taxi into town to shop/eat and back to your boat.

Say hi to Memo

If diving is your passion, you owe it to yourself to learn what Cozumel offers. Buceo Playa Palancar will take you to the correct sites. Other ops can also take you to those sites and that would require the time commitment. Honestly, Cozumel is not exactly "Mexico" even though it is located in that country. We can send you to an authentic restaurant for lunch! The ultimate choice is yours but my advice is that you really should see the Palancar system one way or another...

The wife and I are going on a cruise in a few weeks and our first port will be Cozumel. Being that she has never been to Mexico, she doesn't want to devote the entire day to being offshore diving. My first idea was Chankanaab Park where we could relax on the beach and do a quick dive there. I've heard that its very touristy. I'm wondering if there are any other, maybe better choices. I wouldn't mind a less crowded place granted they have good food and a decent dive (any diving is better than none).

I'm also considering Palancar Beach. I cant find too much info on their dive op so maybe anyone here could shed some light on this choice or maybe another suggestion?

Thanks.

Edit: I just spoke to Aldora divers and they can setup a late departure 1 tank dive for us, leaving us the rest of the afternoon to explore Cozumel. That's my new plan for now.

I've done Chankanaab park once from land-side and I'd rather never go back. Touristy, brassy, filled with too many people. Just yuck. Chankanaab the dive site is nice from a boat.

A one-tank dive with Aldora should be a great option.

The wife dives as well. She's new to it though. I would do 2 tank dives but in this case she will veto me. We'll also be doing diving in Roatan and Grand Cayman.

Yeah, I know Cozumel isn't the true Mexican experience but for her it will suffice.

Thanks for the tips. I will be discussing the plans and see what she thinks.

Are you doing Stingray City in Grand Cayman? That can be done without diving.

Are you doing Stingray City in Grand Cayman? That can be done without diving.

Already done that. Grand Cayman and Roatan are going to be strictly diving. Cozumel is half diving. Belize no diving.

An interesting comment that Cozumel is not really mexico. Hmm. My neighbor went down with me last year and was dissapointed with the food, he was used to northern mexican food that he knew from Monterrey you know, half of the platter covered with refried beans and rice. At times I wish I was back in the dusty villages of Chihuahua but there is no reef there and more narcos as well up north. I think Cozumel is as mexican as you make it. Head out to the neighborhoods. I had a great afternoon one day at a cantina on the other side of 65th. As long as we were drinking the food kept coming.

Back
Top Bottom