Mask drill - eyes open or eyes closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me it is not a skill. It is just an unpleasant thing to do that I will do if I have to.

I agree that opening eyes is perhaps not a _skill_ in the same category as a regulator recovery or fin pivot. However, some people do find the burning sensation of salt water in the eyes after they replace the mask and only managed to partially clear the mask by the first attempt to be an additional trigger to panic. The burning sensation in the eyes together with the water that seems to want to go up their nose when they've just completed a mask remove and replace (stressful for some students) that still needs to be refined a bit does sometimes add another factor into the mix to consider. Granted that this still falls into the mask remove and replace skill to be mastered (whatever that means), but a mask remove and replace with eyes closed is not always the same thing as a mask remove and replace with eyes open in salt water IMHO. It takes getting used to and practice for some people to suppress the urge to panic and deal with the situation all the way through to the end in a relaxed manner. In that sense I do somewhat consider it an augmented take on the regular mask remove and replace _skill_that is IMHO well worth helping students to get used to in addition to their regular mask clear and remove skill. Of course I would not refuse to certify them if they couldn't do it, I would just try to help them get it right for their own sake. It is the same reasoning behind why my wife had to perform her mask remove and replace at 100ft with her instructor for her CMAS 2 star skill demonstrations; an added task load or a change in the variables makes preforming the skill more difficult to do and doing it despite the added stress load does arguably confirm "mastery" of the skill to some extent (although in her case this was a required part to be certified) :coffee:

Spare mask in left thigh pocket. I don't have any issues opening my eyes in water, but I can also replace my mask without my eyes, then figure out where my mask went.

Am I the only person on SB who doesn't get stinging from salt water in the eyes? I find it much more pleasant than pool water, which isn't to say it's "good" but certainly not painful. At least not in the pacific or atlantic oceans, anyway. Even when I wore contacts I didn't have problems opening my eyes under water, except the fear of losing a contact lens.

I keep my eyes open during mask clears but haven't done any mask drills lately so can't say whether I do those eyes open or closed. I usually want some visual reference, though, so I suspect the times I've done them I had my eyes open.

Am I the only person on SB who doesn't get stinging from salt water in the eyes?

Mine don't sting either while they are in direct contact with the water but they do start stinging a bit for a little while after I have replaced and cleared my mask. Do yours not have any irritation when the mask is back on and cleared?

Mine don't sting either while they are in direct contact with the water but they do start stinging a bit for a little while after I have replaced and cleared my mask. Do yours not have any irritation when the mask is back on and cleared?
None that I recall. Spending whole days in the ocean surfing or diving I've never found any stinging when I get water in my eyes or afterward. Sounds like I'm just lucky.

You guys are lucky, I got no less than 4 contact lenses to manage, 2x hard on top of 2 x soft. Only wear them in the ocean where there are nice fishies to see, but keep em off for quarry and ESP pool dives.
Would hate to lose a lens in the ocean so carry a spare mask. Also practiced doing drills with only one eye open so as to maintain some vision in case of dire emergencies. Lose the lens in the "good eye".

None that I recall. Spending whole days in the ocean surfing or diving I've never found any stinging when I get water in my eyes or afterward. Sounds like I'm just lucky.

Well then you're a lucky one I guess :coffee: The only time I ever had major problems with opening my eyes underwater was when I did my DM and we spent almost 6 hours in the pool doing stress tests (we had a wannabe Navy Seal jack@$$ for an instructor with delusions of grandeur and that I have no doubt would not even have gotten close to wrapping up the first hour of BUD/S); the chlorine burned my eyes so badly it looked like it was foggy outside when I drive home that night. They recovered a day or so later and thankfully there was no lasting damage. Besides that, I have always opened my eyes underwater in the pool, in the sea, in the lake... I got used to the slight initial burning after clearing my mask and never had problems.

I think that because I have been in the water from the time I was very young, I actually find it hard to keep my eyes closed without a mask on. It is so natural to just open them while under water.

I did notice that the other two students in my open water class did their mask drills with their eyes closed, but I took it off, looked at both other students, then my instructor and then put the mask back on and cleared it.

I do get a little bit of a sting after the mask is cleared, but really nothing really worth noting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom