Tank tumbler motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigd2722

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to make a tank tumbler and the issue is the motor. Any resources for 120v 1/2-1 hp motor very low rpm?

Aren't you planning to use pulleys and not have it direct drive?

What you are looking for is a "gearmotor". This is what I bought for direct drive. You can adjust the speed of tank rotation by using different drive wheel diameters. I use smaller diameters for the big 444cu.ft x 5ft storage cylinders and larger for regular SCUBA cylinders. I found out that for direct drive, you need to "float" the gearmotor on the shaft and prevent its' rotation with a spring and lever. That takes up the stop/start shock with a cylinder on the rack.

STM Type RMI 28P Worm Gear Reducer 1 40 Ratio 0 17HP Motor NEW IN BOX 230V 50Hz | eBay

---------- Post added August 30th, 2013 at 03:09 AM ----------

use this to help design your output speeds...

Drive Ratio Calc

MY suggestion was going to be what OKByMe suggested, just gearing the motor to the right RPM. I have an old router motor I've been considering using for something like this. It's loud as hell but it could be housed inside a box to deaden the sound a bit and then geared down pretty effectively to lower RPM.

KISS - Pleanty of free working treadmills on the c-list. Variable dc motor with power to run 2 tanks or whatever. When I did mine I used the steel roller shaft but took some work to put rubber on it. I cut the center out of some cheap rubber rollers no bearings and slipped them on. I put the controls in a small box, shortened the wiring, be sure to mark all leads. Also used the elevation motor to push/pull the idler roller that telescoped into the main tubing to be able to adjust for tank size. Also need end bumpers or adjustable canting to allow for tank creep. My pics are here in an old thread. A big advantage was having a welder, tools, etc. to build the frame.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/364958-tank-tumbler-treadmill.html

Last edited:
This is what I picked up from Surplus Center CaptureSC.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom