Tank too close to bladder with Hollis S series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael.52

Registered
Reaction score
I got a Hollis S series 25lbs bladder, the one with the built in STA, which allows for a very low-drag configuration...or does it?
It appears to me that this was apparently just a gimmick, since my first stage is too close to the bladder and the hoses and inflator push on each other.
I use a DIN regulator, which sticks forward perhaps 2cm more than a yoke would, but assume even with a yoke it would still cause the same problem.
If I move the tank up, it will hit me in the back of my head, and if I move the tank down, my first stage will be out of reach in case I need to locate my second stage via reaching back.
It seems I have to use my STA simply as a spacer, regardless of stability or weighting.

I'd like to hear your experiences, opinions, solutions, approaches, and discussions.

I know people debate this all the time, but I am a fan of the STA. Majority of all of our divers use them with no issues and their control in the water is great. Especially, since you have it, Try it (not once, 6-8 dives) and make your own opinion rather then relying on others.

Adjust the plate down a little. Tank can remain in the same place, and the wing ends up a little lower.

Adjust the plate down a little. Tank can remain in the same place, and the wing ends up a little lower.

It's not an option with the Hollis wings, there's no adjustment allowed due to the tank strap slot size. Unless you mean make the shoulder straps longer.

Posting a pic would help, but I can imagine the right 1st stage causing an issue. Mine works fine but my HP ports angle down a bit - if they didn't, there's a chance the HP hose would interfere with the inflator

I have a rig without an STA (Hog 23lb wing, Dive Rite backplate) and a rig WITH an STA (Halcyon 30 lb wing, Dive Rite STA, Halcyon SS backplate.)

I noticed immediately that the "regulator being too close to everything/wing/hoses/head" happens much easier on the rig with no STA.

Apparently, the extra 1-2 cm of clearance makes a pretty big difference.

Lesson learned - Wayne was right once again!

Checking in, a few weeks of dive season, work, and trying:
Al BP with Al STA with weight belt.
SS BP with the Hollis soft STA.

The Al configuration was a bit too light for me, and having almost the same weight on my hips as on my back defied half the point of a BP, I quickly moved over to the SS BP, although the hose issue was still a bit troubling my head...
The way my first stage (Mk17) is routed is that the LP go out sideways, and the HP is slightly forward, meaning that the HP hose was the biggest issue of the problem described in my OP. Anyway, after deciding that this should not be much of an issue when underwater, since the bladder is not inflated, I tried, and after a couple dives the best [-]solution[/-] compromise I found was when strapping the tank on, but NOT to have the tap lined up with the BP, instead giving it a slight angle towards the left. By doing this I decreased the interference of the HP hose with the inflator, on a slight expense of making my Second stage hoses a bit closer to the bladder (but on the right side, with no inflator interference).

Last edited:
Agreed, I use a STA on a BP and also softpac harness type BC. The distance it keeps the reg from my head is perfect, plus it lines up on the tank much better and quicker with the STA. I also use the DSS wings with built in STA with no problems. Another thing is hose routing, I prefer fixed 1st stages suck as Apeks and Aqualung Legends. The hoses on rotating 1st stages usually route a little too close to my neck area. I'm not complaining about SP or Atomic, they breath great, just the hose routing.

I guess the GF and I must have our gear set up different or something because we have the S38 wings and no problem using HOG DIN regs and no STA.

I will say when we travel and are stuck with Yolk tanks where we need to use our adapters I do bump my head.

Back
Top Bottom