"A Tax on the Gullible..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711

Reaction score
I've seen a few references in some other threads to "a (fill in the name) is just a tax on the gullible.

I've also seen references to how rude it would be to deride someone's gear choice as a tax on the gullible.

I openly admit to calling particular items "taxation of the gullible." These would include Air2's, and most recently, air-based tank locking mechanisms such as those created by Mares or Apollo.

I feel it's necessary to clarify what I mean when I say something is a tax on the gullible.

To begin, unless I'm mistaken, I would never call a person gullible. That IS rude. However, I will call a particular piece of equipment a "Tax on the Gullible." Understandably, people who may have been blissfully ignorant on their status of gullibility up until that point take offense to that at times.

A "Tax on the Gullible" is equipment which is not needed, overpriced, and solves a so-called need which doesn't exist. It can be an equipment solution to a non-existant or perceived problem, but which in retrospect, isn't a problem at all...

... For example:

Tank Bangers. Small tax on gullible - since people buy them thinking they will help stay together in a group or with a buddy. However, using proper buddy skills is free.

Air2 - larger tax. sold to people on the promise they reduce streamlining and make emergency response simpler - when in reality they do not. Especially when the response to the potential loss of life support gear is to carry a pony bottle - thus ruining any potential streamlining effect whatsoever.

Tank Locks - huge tax, and absolutely unnecessary. Use a camband with Stainless Steel buckles and a rubber grip. Preferably, use 2.

Some items are partial tax, and partial usefulness. Such as Force Fins - 25% useful because everyone needs fins, but 75% tax because they only work with funky technique, they're hugely overpriced, and they don't work any better than regular fins.

Now - why do I call them a tax on the gullible, and not something other people would consider "nicer" or "more gentle?"

A) that's not my personality type in person, either - and I've never been in a fistfight yet, so I would assume it somehow comes across as more gentle in "real" life, and;

B) Because TRADITONALLY... Items such as Force Fins, Air2's or what-have-you have been sold by overzealous dive shop employees who I feel aren't working with your best interest in mind, but rather, the bottom line. If they can unload a $400 set of Force Fins on you, even if they think they're inferior to a $80 set of Jet Fins, they do it. Obviously, not all LDS's act this way... but those who do are "Taxing the Gullible."

Maybe a better term would be "Tax imposed on the Dive community by less than scrupulous equipment manufacturers and distributors upon people who, in the belief that they are providing them with solid advice, mistakenly choose to solicit their opinion." But "Tax on the Gullible" is shorter to type. :)

There we go. The history of the term, at least as I see it. If I've ever called someone gullible, I will apologize hear and now. But if I call a piece of gear a "Tax on the Gullible," it's simply because it was probably sold not with the best interests of the diver in mind.

Flame away. :)

Boogie, not a spark will I ignite:
To speak your mind you have the utmost right.
I could not, would not, object anyway,
Still LOLing 'bout the fin that went astray!

No flame spray here.

I see the venders come in to talk to the shop owner trying to convince him of the value of these worthless items.

Boogie711:
I've seen a few references in some other threads to "a (fill in the name) is just a tax on the gullible.

I've also seen references to how rude it would be to deride someone's gear choice as a tax on the gullible.

I openly admit to calling particular items "taxation of the gullible." These would include ... bla bla bla.

The original version of the expression comes from France, and is:

"A lottery is a tax on imbeciles."

Similarly, a backplate and wing for nontechnical divers is in my view such a tax. But as Pete would probably say, one man's tax is another man's gold mine.

Something can not be gullible it has to be someone, so your logic is wrong you are insulting the person. But it’s all semantics anyway.

nwdiver2:
Something can not be gullible it has to be someone, so your logic is wrong you are insulting the person. But it’s all semantics anyway.

Um, no... I am not saying particular items are gullible. I'm saying they're a TAX on the gullible.

But again - it's not their fault they've been victimized by unscrupulous shop owners or manufacturers.

Boogie711:
Understandably, people who may have been blissfully ignorant on their status of gullibility up until that point take offense to that at times.

And thus you win the Quote of the Day award :dazzler1:

We need coke can here!!!

Love it Boogie711. Damn wish I hadn't been taxed when I started. Ah well, live and learn.

IndigoBlue:
Similarly, a backplate and wing for nontechnical divers is in my view such a tax.
Ah oppinions, got to love them. I dive a BP/W in a rec environment because it's the only thing I've tried that fits me right. That includes Ranger, Escape, Eclipse, SP whatever the LDS had on the shelf and threw at me and other assorted BCs.

But the PADI divemaster is supposed to be a TEAM player. How can he be a TEAM player if he does not PUSH this junk off on unsuspecting newbies????????Bent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom