Sharks and your experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen quite a few sharks, mostly reef sharks, but I never had any trouble with them.
Off West Caicos Island there would be two or three reef sharks below us at every dive, they would follow us to the wall and stay above it as we dropped down. When we came back up they would follow us back to the boat. They never came very close or made any threatening moves, sometimes a little unnerving but overall pretty cool.
There was one guy doing his open water dives on the bottom, doing mask removal and replacement with sharks circling. That was probably scary.
Our last day diving we found out that the week before we arived a reef shark had bit a woman snorkeling off of a liveaboard. no wonder they didn't tell us while we were diving.

chickdiver:
You've GOT to be kidding me. The Gulf of Mexico has one of the largest and most divers shark populations in the world. On the Northern Gulf Coast, 17' hammerheads are not unusual. The last couple of years we have had a number of large, aggressive Bulls running inshore as well. You can also add large Tigers and pelagic species to the mix as well.

Like I said, "miniatures."

IndigoBlue:
Like I said, "miniatures."

If you think Bulls, Tigers, Hammerheads, Makos, Pelagic Whitetips and any other number of species commonly seen on the N Gulf Coast are "miniature" and to be trifled with, [removed abusive language]

In my experience, its generally the smaller specimens that are most aggressive anyway, more competition for food.

chickdiver:
If you think Bulls, Tigers, Hammerheads, Makos, Pelagic Whitetips and any other number of species commonly seen on the N Gulf Coast are "miniature" and to be trifled with,

No shark is to be trifled with. But the ones you mention are definitely "miniatures" compared to the real landlords of Australia, South Africa, and California. Sweetie.

IndigoBlue:
No shark is to be trifled with. But the ones you mention are definitely "miniatures" compared to the real landlords of Australia, South Africa, and California. Sweetie.

This is coming from the guy who invented deep stops, so it must be true ... :monkeydan

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

chickdiver:
You've GOT to be kidding me. The Gulf of Mexico has one of the largest and most divers shark populations in the world. On the Northern Gulf Coast, 17' hammerheads are not unusual. The last couple of years we have had a number of large, aggressive Bulls running inshore as well. You can also add large Tigers and pelagic species to the mix as well.

I'm with IndigoBlue on this one...Whale Sharks are clearly miniatures :rolleyes:

NWGratefulDiver:
This is coming from the guy who invented deep stops, so it must be true ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Adapted and advocated, long before their time, not "invented." OrcaBait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom