LeisurePro's Charging Policy Stinks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Happily my prior post doesn't really make sense now because OP edited his response, which is perfectly acceptable.

It actually applies really well with regard to replies to the OP...

The payment was handled through Paypal....

The addition of the 3rd party (paypal) explains a lot. It's no longer a simple credit card transaction, your brought in a 3 party into the transaction and they are one communicating well with each other, thus your stuck in the middle.

FWIW: Replacing a credit card transaction with paypal is something I usually avoid. The credit card companies are biased towards the customer (you) in a dispute, paypal is not. Its a nice tool to have when you are worried about exposing you cc number, not much else.

Amazon is tops in service :)

You shouldn't feel you need to explain your personal finances. Nor should other big swinging dicks try to make you feel that is necessary.

Chill, chilly. My point was that there is a difference between giving someone a credit card and giving them a debit card. Google Clark Howard if you want to know more. He said LP said their policy is to put a hold on the card and he said he "looked at his bank statement" and then later said he used PayPal. I hope everyone understands that PayPal is not a bank and is not regulated as one.

If these revelations are a surprise I suggest more research because financial knowledge is as important as dive knowledge.

Unh hunh chrpai. Maybe you want to edit the second paragraph of your first post? If not, when the shoe fits be prepared to wear it.

And then there's the Tool. :rollseyes:

Chilly, there was nothing boastful about that sentence. So I have adequate available credit on a credit card... big friggin deal. That doesn't mean I'm wealthy or anything. In fact I was implying that the opposite was true on my debit card tied to my checking account and that I'd have more cause for concern there.

Glad you got the chance to clarify that, chrpai.

This is very standard unfortunately. Other websites do it all the time (IE Amazon)

This is very standard unfortunately. Other websites do it all the time (IE Amazon)

I am sorry, this is not standard procedure that I have encountered before. I have been buying online with PayPal, Amazon, LeisurePro, ScubaToys etc. etc. for years and I have never, not once had this situation arise. Like I said in a previous post, my purchases on Amazon normally are authorized against my card and shows up as as a pending transaction on my bank statement (the funds are deducted from the available balance but the formal account balance has not yet been affected); once the items are shipped and the bank finalizes the charge the pending charge posts to the bank statement and formal balance is updated. This normally happens within 48-72 hours. I have never seen this kind of "double charging" happen before with previous purchases, including with LP, using either PayPal or my CC directly.

And yes, I am sure PayPal being in the mix is making this whole thing more complicated and therefore more convoluted, but even if it were 3-5 business days had I used my CC directly this process still does not make any sense nor does it correlate with the way things have been done with virtually every other online vendor that I have used for the past five years. I am not sure whether the fact they split the items up made any difference but then I have received orders from ScubaToys in the same way as well as from Amazon like that; i.e. split up into different shipments, and still have not encountered this before.

The lesson for me here is that I will from now on continue to support my LDS and if they can't match ScubaToys' offers then I'll give my business to ScubaToys and have them just give me the same excellent service I have always gotten from them. Either way I know I am being taken care of, get great quality gear and if I have a gripe like this one I know I can get my LDS owner or Larry at ST on the phone and talk directly to the guy that has the Buck Stops Here sign on his desk and that can actually do something about the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom