What do zombie parrotfish eat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate those damn things. Have encountered them on most every night dive on both sides of the world and they bite too. :(

I hate those damn things. Have encountered them on most every night dive on both sides of the world and they bite too. :(

The "Blood Worms" are a very common Caribbean night dive pest in August.

Use them to your advantage.

They will not bother you if you do not have a light, so Step #1 is to cover/shield your light and let your friends draw them away. Barring that, here's a good tip: use them as food/attractant for more interesting species.

If you find a Lobster or Crab- lay your flashlight right in front of and pointing at them... then step back- they will gorge themselves. Interesting to watch them eat so frantically and effectively.

Find a Coral. At night, they extend the feeding Polyps. Put the light below it, shining upwards. Watch the horror show that surely spawned many a sci-fi monster's style. Little pink worms getting sucked into solid rock.

Or, locate a Basket Star. Do the same thing, light from below, pointing upwards. Feed it until it explodes.

August is the month for a florid active water column. Take a bright light and when you're at CocoView, put it in the sand at 65fsw behind the Prince Albert Wreck, again- pointed straight up. Then retreat to the shallow ship rail and be patient. It will likely attract any number of Pelagic Rays- stuff that most people do not see or think exists there. I have seen Atlantic Mantas right there on a shore dive from CCV... coming in to feed.

At the end of the dive, in 3' at the dive platform- do the same trick. Bright light in the sand, pointed up. Get all the divers in a circle, maybe 3' back. Watch the incredible array of larval critters.

Patience rewards. Be sure to rinse the Blood Worms off of your gear otherwise you'll find them stuck on, all dried-out in the morning.

The water column is alive... and they really don't bite- honest.

Larval critters (including Lobsters)~ it's all right there!

​

Don't bite my bass!! They are nibblers and after awhile it gets a bit stingy on the back of my hands. Afterwards i may find little red dots from where they struck me.

Yes know the trick about turning off my light, sic'n 'em on my buddy and such. Thanks for the new ideas though. That will add greatly to the overall enjoyment.

Thanks for the tip! Next time I'm here!

Yes, the previous picture was a baby sole. I was floundering for a punch line.

CCV_flounder_cropped.jpg

Reactions: Doc
I guess I need to file that joke into the trash can...

juv_filefish_cropped.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom