DIY hookah system.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been building my own hookahs for 18 years. If you have any questions, feel free.

That's awesome and I'll take you up on it. I'll make a thread of what I have so far and would love your input, been out of the Navy so long now I've got a lot to catch up on for my knowledge-base lol.

Update, my DIY Hookah system works like a champ, start to finish two days, all of it was rebuilding some old mid 80s DAcor XLB Pacer 2nd stages, I calculated and figured out a formula for proper length to cut the LP valve spring seat, works great, in fact works identical as the spare XLB reg with a full scuba spring, go figure.

Next project will be a semi-hard hat rig.

Looked up the specs and it has a duty rate of 100% . With running a 3 gallon aluminum reserve tank and pressure switch it would not have to run continuous. What pressure do most run the reserve tanks up to?

I have built several compressors from various components... You can build a safe, reliable gas operated compressor pump for 650.00.

1) compressor, Gast PCA-10, order from AOP technologies.

2) Engine 3.5hp el-cheapo from harbor freight.

3) LP Hookah Regulators adjusted to run at 90psi.

4) a whole bunch of small parts that I have on a list somewhere... example.. You will need, compression/02 fittings, 3/8 diver hose, 1"hose for snorkel, check valve, manifold with regulator, proper pulley size for correct rpm, check valve, heater hose, volume tank or bladder, a thick plate to mount all this on and something to float it.

That should get your started,if your really serious I can look for the parts list.. You will need to be pretty crafty and knowledgeable to put this together correctly. Its fun to do if your into that kind of thing... You will spend several hours if not a few days the first time you do this. You might think about just buying one if you cant commit to the time and frustration. Not to mention you will need to test this... Several times before using it.

Brendon,

Please do post that list. I had a friend who used to build these in the 1970s (Mighty Lite Mining Eqpt) and we used them to gold mine in the rivers up in NorCal.

Need one now, as I am living abroad on my boat, and can't always get air for my dive gear.

Appreciate any help you could be.

Regards,

G2L

I've been building my own hookahs for 18 years. If you have any questions, feel free.

Got lots of questions, so I hope I can join the conversation. But first a bit of background:

My old friend, noted in an earlier post, used to build hookahs for use in mining holes 3-30 foot deep.
He used a small Briggs and Stratton motor, which, If I remember correctly, was a four stroke, 4hp model.

He would rig a pully on it and run it to a small, blue compressor (have no idea what brand) to which he rigged about 5' of pvc pipe with a filter on top as an air intake. The whole rig sat on an aluminum frame, kinda like a backpack frame, which was tied to a rubber tire tube.

On the diver's side of the compressor was hose (seemed like nothing more than garden hose, but I really don't remember) to which he attached an old propane tank with nipples welded on each end. Not exactly "military spec" I am sure.

On the diver's side of the tank was more hose, ending in a normal dive regulator, probably an old Aqualung Aquarius, which he had adapted by swapping out the regulation spring with a lighter, less powerful spring.

I used the rig a number of times in depths to about 20 feet, with no problems, and am thinking about building one here, in SE Asia, because I can't always get air and need to clean my own hull on my live-aboard sailboat. By the way, I used to clean bottoms with an onshore, electric hookah in LA harbor, 1976 or so.

That said, my questions are as follows:

1. Why couldn't I do something similar using whatever, local, probably Chinese made, motor I can find? Guys around here use "pump" motors, and they seem to be pretty reliable. Is the extra smoke expected from a 2 stroke a good reason to stay with a 4 stroke engine, and are the engines used on small, "home use" hookah rigs 4 or 2 stroke?

2. Have read and understood the hose debate, but good hose is not available here. For a once a month job on my own boat, wouldn't what they call "chem hose" work adequately, if perhaps less safely? I am referring to the kind of clear, green, reinforced hose often used to supply gas to a motorcycle carburetor.

3. If I use a local compressor, what kind of specs should it have, in order to send air no more than 30 feet down to a single diver? In fact, most use will be in no more than 3 feet of water, with the rig in the cockpit of my boat, but, I would like to be able to use the rig to dive the anchor, as well, if necessary.

4. Does anybody know of any compressor like the blue one I described and why such a piece of equipment may or may not be adequate or safe for the type of use I describe?

5. As noted in other threads, I have a '70s vintage Aqualung Aquarius regulator. If I take it apart and replace the spring for use in a home made hookah rig, what kind/size of spring should I use?

6. I do not want to use an old propane tank as a "holding tank" for my air, so what kind of tank would suffice?

Well, that's plenty for now.

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated,

G2L

Oops - Thought I was posting a new comment here, but saw only a bunch of quotes instead. So I deleted them.

Gotta figure how this site works. Sorry for any confusion caused.

G2L

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom