E-PL5 vs SeaLife DC1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the Olympus housing for the E-PL5, does anyone know if I will be able to use my Sea & Sea YS-02 with it? Will the flash of the camera be visable through the housing? I'll use it on the yellow Sea& Sea tray with two arms and wondering if the whole thing will fit on there too. THanks!

---------- Post added August 18th, 2013 at 09:05 PM ----------

Well, I will find out soon if I can use my strobe with the Olympus housing. Its looks like I can. I took my sea & sea tray down to B&H today to see if the housing fits inside. The housing is real big (for me. I also hate attracting so much attention). But it does fit inside. However I won't be able to use my gopro alongside because the port will block its view. However, in the same area of B&H I found a solution right away. In the tripod area I picked up a hot shoe - tripod plate. So just unscrew the tripod mount (which is heavy) and I am left with the connector to the hot shoe which I can use to attach the gopro to the top of the housing. Good to go! But let's see how the E-PL5 video is , maybe I won't need the gopro at all.

Anyway, I went just to look. I wasn't planning to buy. But the salesman said "hey why is the price 746 online but only 599 here?" when he added it to the bill the lower price showed up even though his display had 746. The same thing with the E-PL5 itself. The price went from 599 to 499. So for a spur of the moment $250 off coupon, I pulled the trigger! I bought the camera, housing, zoom gear and the tripod mount and am playing with it now. The shots I took of my bicycle and other parts of my apartment are the sharpest test shots I've taken here. I think I will keep it!

The housing they had in stock was a bit scratched and looked like some things were missing from the box (like a manual - is there one?). So I still have to wait for that (the most important part!) as it had to be shipped to me.

Do you have pictures of your setup? Im very new to the EPL5 - and am a visual person...

Do you have pictures of your setup? Im very new to the EPL5 - and am a visual person...

Sorry for the delay. I am moving house so it took a while for me to get all the pieces in the same room. Here is a shot of what it looks like. There are a few more straps and the fiber optic cable, and of course the camera inside (don't forget to get the gear ring so you can zoom while the camera is inside). But this is pretty much what it looks like. I took a practice video with the gopro and it came out fine. Its a little higher up, but not too difficult to compensate for that.

Cheers

IMAG0132.jpg

Back
Top Bottom