What is good dive gear for a newcomer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thomas42

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am just recently certified in open water and looking to buy my own gear. I have researched and came up with two possible good deal (I think) but wanted someone that has more experience to let me know if this will be a good dependable set-up. Thanks everyone for you help

Package 1
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Hollis DC3 212 Regulator [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Mares Viper [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Scubapro Glide BCD or Oceanic Flex BCD[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Aeris A300 AI Computer [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Package 2 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Sherwood Magnum [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Sherwood octo [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Scubapro Glide BCD or Oceanic Flex BCD[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Aeris A300 AI Computer [/FONT][/FONT]

It's best to do a search if you want lots of specific opinions, but here's mine in brief:
1. Skip the air integrated computer, it's a waste of money IMO.
2. Almost any regulator will work well.
3. I would not buy a jacket BC, but best is to spend very little initially and get some experience, so you can evaluate different types of BC systems.

If I was starting over today, and on a limited budget, I'd go with something like the zeagle express tech bc,or a Dive Rite backplate and wing (BP/W) along with a basic level reg like a scubapro mkII, atomic z3, hog D2, or a zeagle envoy. Add SPG, basic computer, octo, 3mm wetsuit all in around $1k or so.

I am just recently certified in open water and looking to buy my own gear. I have researched and came up with two possible good deal (I think) but wanted someone that has more experience to let me know if this will be a good dependable set-up. Thanks everyone for you help
Where & what type of diving do you see yourself doing?

Where & what type of diving do you see yourself doing?

I am in Georgia. A vast majority of my diving will be here locally and fresh waters of Florida. But with that being said I am planning to go at least once (and if more definitely not on a regular basis) to the Keys and possibly the Bahamas to dive.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2013 at 04:00 PM ----------

If I was starting over today, and on a limited budget, I'd go with something like the zeagle express tech bc,or a Dive Rite backplate and wing (BP/W) along with a basic level reg like a scubapro mkII, atomic z3, hog D2, or a zeagle envoy. Add SPG, basic computer, octo, 3mm wetsuit all in around $1k or so.

I tried a buddy of mine back plane last weekend, but just could not seem to get the hang of it. I used a Glide in training and it seemed to fit me better that is why I choose that one. I looked at those two regs since they were in the best priced packages that were offered so far....Not saying I'm opposed to a different reg. I was thinking I probably need a 5MM since I am going to be using it mainly for dive rescue...Either way any shop recommendations? Speaking of which, do you know any shops that offers military & L.E discounts?

Was the BPW set up for you or your buddy? I will never have another jacket style BC. If you are going to get one get a used one as you'll likely want to get rid of it in a year or so. There is no better BC for traveling and local diving than a Zeagle Express Tech or BPW. Both are modular and can be broken down and packed very small yet still be used for cooler and even cold water diving. Shoot me your email in a PM and I'll send you an article I wrote on both. How to set them up, why they make sense, and what options are available for weighting, pockets, and choice of regulator configurations.

And as for military and LEO discounts? Hell yeah! Shoot me a PM to see what I do for you guys. My son is USAF Intelligence and have a nephew that's a PA State Trooper. I take good care of y'all. And if you do want a jacket BC at a reasonable price to begin with I can help you out there as well.

I can put you in a complete set of high performance gear for under a grand easy. And since you're military shipping is also on me.

I am in Georgia. A vast majority of my diving will be here locally and fresh waters of Florida. But with that being said I am planning to go at least once (and if more definitely not on a regular basis) to the Keys and possibly the Bahamas to dive.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2013 at 04:00 PM ----------

I tried a buddy of mine back plane last weekend, but just could not seem to get the hang of it. I used a Glide in training and it seemed to fit me better that is why I choose that one. I looked at those two regs since they were in the best priced packages that were offered so far....Not saying I'm opposed to a different reg. I was thinking I probably need a 5MM since I am going to be using it mainly for dive rescue...Either way any shop recommendations? Speaking of which, do you know any shops that offers military & L.E discounts?
Yes, we give a military discount.

Scubapro MK25/G260 w/ R095 Oct
Scubapro Glide X
XP-10 3 gauge console

*qualifies for Free parts for life

First thing I would do is try and find a dive group or other divers in your area. You are going to need buddies right? Find out what they dive, and why they dive it. Find out if there anything that are "must haves" or "local" deals for the area. Often with dive groups there are people that have "extra" gear and will let you try it out.

In the long run this will save you money.

1. Skip the air integrated computer, it's a waste of money IMO.

A number of people seem to think that, but for some of us I'd disagree.

I like a dive computer that can log my dives, then download to my computer later. Lets me keep a good log book without having to bother writing things down at the time, plus gives me average depth, a graphed dive profile, and a SAC rate.

An AI computer logs my start & end pressures, which is useful for my log book. Diving in Bonaire, I don't care to bother writing stuff down, or leave much in the truck between dives.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom