Open Water Course - Indonesia (near Bali)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I have a friend who wants to do their open water and probably advanced. I've done a fair bit of diving in Indonesia and love it, so I'm trying to convince him to do his training in Indo rather than Thailand.

Would anyone have good recommendations on where and which dive centre to do an open water course and then hang around to get some more diving experience. He is after good instructors, nice enough diving, and a bit of topside atmosphere too as he's travelling solo.

Easy access to Bali would be great, I'm thinking Bali, maybe lembongan? Or the Gili's. He won't be heading over to the Sulawesi area.

Thanks very much!!

MA

Hi there

For somebody young , or young at heart I just think that the Gilis are unbeatable. Gili T I just perfect for party animals and Gili Air is just a bit quieter. We have stayed and dived with Manta on Gili Air several times and love it there so much.

Nusa Lembongan is also lovely , but quieter.

In my humble opinion diving in Indonesia is better and cheaper than in Thailand.

Best fishes x

Tulamben Wreck Divers is also Aussie owned and we get good feedback from our divers who've visited there. Tulamben is a nice place to learn, there's plenty to see and conditions are usually very easy but like Mr Saveuse says not a great party area. You can complete your course in Tulamben and then move on to somewhere else. Plenty of other dive spots around Bali, would definitely try to get in some dives around Nusa lembongan and Nusa Penida.

Learning & fun diving is +/- 10% cheaper in Thaïland than in Bali and even 20% to 30% cheaper in busy Koh Toa.

The rull of thumb in this industry being you get what you pay for ...

I would suggest the Gili Islands If looking for the best topside atmosphere but if looking for the best underwater experience, your friend will have to look elsewhere : Tulamben, Padangbai or Nusa Lembongan / Penida.

Thanks all for the feedback! I love tulamben diving, I didn't realise courses were available there.
I have a feeling he may opt for a bit of nightlife too, so it sounds like gilis may suit. Or lembongan.

now, when can I go!!

Hi,

i think diving in Indonesia is better. I would choose Tulamben vs Gili T, I think is much more rewarding than Gili. If you want party and a nice beach then go to Gili, but i think reefs and marine life isnt as good as Tulamben.

Good luck!

I loved staying and diving with Trawangan Dive on Gili T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom