Malapascua or anther island in Cebu for 5 days diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btonthemove

Registered
Reaction score
Hi doing a trip in October on the Siren then extending for another 6 days in the area. I've never been to the Philippines before, am very excited about whale sharks and thresher sharks. Would appreciate some recommendations on dive resorts. Probably stay in the one place for the whole 5 days so looking for a dive resort or resort with dive shop nearby. Not overly expensive $50-80 per night. All inclusive would be good (like Lembeh) with house reef or some muck diving. Don't mind about wrecks but I'm always more interested in the life on the wreck then the wreck itself.

If you have never been to the Philippines then Malapascua is truly wonderful....six days there with 4 or 5 early morning dives would five you an extremely high chance is seeing many many thresher sharks. Also the island is stunningly beautiful.

Southern Leyte is good for whalesharks from January onwards. I saw them in Oslob which was also lovely. However Malapascua was more beautiful and would be easier to get to from Cebu.

Malapascua..great choice. Nice resort/dive center is Malapascua Exotic with muck diving on its house reef. Also recommend Evolution right next door.

5 days on/around Malapascua is easily doable. More than enough to keep you occupied there even without going to Gato or the further wrecks.

People vote for Malapascua - so do I as I live here. Easily worth a week as its nice variety. Don't recommend Oslob in Cebu - guaranteed whale sharks but just not quite right. But its there nonetheless as a non diving last day. Malapascua has great variety - muck, wall, reef and great beach. Very mellow and laid back. Sort of depends where Siren puts you in or collects you. If Cebu then you're sorted which I think is their normal end point in October.

Threshers are in Malapascua 12 months a year. 3 dives gives you about a 100% chance of a close encounter. I may regret that statement. 2 dives is still very high and 1 dive is still very high but now as low as 75 to 90% chance. We can count the unsuccessful divers who never saw one and most of them dived Monad pre late 2011 or just had time for one dive.

Hi doing a trip in October on the Siren then extending for another 6 days in the area. I've never been to the Philippines before, am very excited about whale sharks and thresher sharks. Would appreciate some recommendations on dive resorts. Probably stay in the one place for the whole 5 days so looking for a dive resort or resort with dive shop nearby. Not overly expensive $50-80 per night. All inclusive would be good (like Lembeh) with house reef or some muck diving. Don't mind about wrecks but I'm always more interested in the life on the wreck then the wreck itself.
HI,
I was there last week while Metro Manila was flooded and had a great time. I would recommend Divelink, Home Page | DivelinkCebu owner's name is Gary. He can hook you up with Slam next door for accommodation.

Thanks so much everyone. looks like i'd better stay on Malapascua! :0
Can't wait to get over there now. My goal is to see 1 thresher shark. If I see one it would make the whole trip worthwhile.

Thanks so much everyone. looks like i'd better stay on Malapascua! :0
Can't wait to get over there now. My goal is to see 1 thresher shark. If I see one it would make the whole trip worthwhile.
I will be shocked if you dont see one. The odds are definitely in your favor of seeing them.

If I were in your shoes I'd stay on Malapascua just long enough to see the threshers, the scoot south to Moalboal for the sardines. In my opinion, other than the threshers, Malapascua's dive sites don't offer enough to warrant 5 whole days of diving. Same goes for Moalboal - Pescador is worth a dive or two, with a couple more at wherever the sardines are, and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom