What kind of snapper is this???.....ie --its 'common' name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Taken on nite dive in Bonaire & it was fairly large---???maybe 10+ lbs??....Looks like he was trying to wake up the stoplite parrot????....tia
9726301679_eef48da0c3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
While there is no sign of the characteristic mark under the eye; based on size, color, and the dark mark on the gill plate behind the eye, I'd go with dog snapper

A schoolmaster.

Judging by the dark iris and lack of other distinguishing markings like lines under (schoolmaster or dog snapper) or across the eye, I'm thinking it's a Grey Snapper.

I see a stoplight parrotfish.

And the distinctive yellow fins makes the other guy a schoolmaster.

Dog snapper has a triangular teardrop under the eye - not present so not dog.
Some Grey snappers have a band across the eye - not present so inconclusive.
some schoolmasters have a blue line under the eye - not present so inconclusive.
Yellow fins = schoolmaster.

I would say school master as well, but 10 lbs? I have only seen them less than maybe 2.5 lbs?

It's a Schoolmaster in "copper phase." giffenk said it: Yellow fins. Schoolmasters can get surprisingly large...

Thanks all........

---------- Post added September 13th, 2013 at 04:43 AM ----------

I would say school master as well, but 10 lbs? I have only seen them less than maybe 2.5 lbs?

If that is correct, how large is the parrotfish??...........That thing was @ least 10 lbs...

regarding snappers: shouldn't use colors so definitively- fish can adjust colors to a wide range- no reason why a species would limit its colors that much. Truly, small dog snappers are very hard to tell from schoolmasters- though if I had to guess I would agree it is likely a very large schoolmaster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom