Local Sydney Diving - North or South?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm hoping there's some sydneysiders that might be able to help me! I'm from melbourne, but likely to be moving to sydney shortly. I'm loving my local diving here in Melbourne (and my club!) and hoping to enjoy it just as much up there.

I'm trying to decide on where I'm going to live. One of the key factors will be access to diving (i know sydney traffic so keen to avoid it as much as possible).

Would North or South of the harbour be considered best for diving? I'd be looking at boat and shore dives. I have googled, and i'm getting the impression North might be the place to be, but would love advice of those who dive there.

Also can anyone recommend any good dive clubs?

Thanks very much!!
MA

South is better for shore diving probably twice as many shore dive sites South of the Harbour as you do North. If you want a good dive club that isn't affiliated with a dive shop try this St George Scuba Club.

Frogidive Willoughby, Sydney Dive Academy , and Snorkelsafari at Matraville are all very good shops. Sydney Dive Achademy and Snorkelsafari are on Bunnerong Rod near Bare Island which is one of the most popular dive sites in Sydney. Parking there is free and the location of the Island create protected areas when other sites are not diveable. Quite a number of different dives you can do there as well.

Whatever you do just dont live in the SHIRE!!!!!!!!!

Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site ... this will give you a comprehensive list of the diving available in Sydney

You back in town? I'd like to catch up the beginning of the month if possible...We also need to arrange to join the club..:admingreet:

really depends on where you live. most of the local dive stores have a good club vibe.

while living in Sydney I used to dive with Frogdive in Willoughby, good bunch of guys and girls, regular club shore dives and boat diving every weekend.

whether north or south being better is down to where your allegiances lie (where you were born). I personally like north better for both boat and shore diving. Shelly beach and Freshwater being my two favourite shore sites and probably blue fish point being my pick for boat dives. Frogdive pick you up in the harbour so each week there are boat dives north and south.

south, there is bare island, shiprock (reportedly the best shore dive in Sydney), Bondi (be careful attempting this for the first time, take someone who knows the site well) are all good shore dives.

Sheila, yes back from Scapa Flow and Swanage diving in UK. AGM for club tomorrow night, otherwise join via web site. Not sure what we are up to in coming weeks, but hope to be at NRL Grand Final on Sunday of long weekend (Rabbits to win!).

I'm working tomorrow and won't get home till late so through the website it will have to be:) We can PM or email to try to arrange a get together. I have some diving company coming I would like you to meet.

---------- Post added September 16th, 2013 at 08:18 PM ----------

really depends on where you live. most of the local dive stores have a good club vibe.

while living in Sydney I used to dive with Frogdive in Willoughby, good bunch of guys and girls, regular club shore dives and boat diving every weekend.

whether north or south being better is down to where your allegiances lie (where you were born). I personally like north better for both boat and shore diving. Shelly beach and Freshwater being my two favourite shore sites and probably blue fish point being my pick for boat dives. Frogdive pick you up in the harbour so each week there are boat dives north and south.

south, there is bare island, shiprock (reportedly the best shore dive in Sydney), Bondi (be careful attempting this for the first time, take someone who knows the site well) are all good shore dives.

yes we have also been members of Frogdive "Club" and dealt with the shops since the 90's and they are great to deal with. Too bad the Guildford shop has shut down as it is closer to us. Just thought he wanted a non affiliated club and it will depend on where he settles as to the best option.

HI Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback! Exactly what I was after. I thought there may be differing opinions on North v South, but i guess that means I really can't go wrong either way!

BowlofPetunias - Im not bothered by an affiliation with a shop - my current club is and it has worked out really well. I'm happy to support the dive industry here as much as possible so i can keep diving locally! But the St George Club did look great!

Bracko - I have actually come across Frog Dive on one of my club trips - I really liked them so its good to hear some good feedback. If I decide North (work is based north) they will probably suit perfectly.

Thanks for all the fish - i'll go through that site - looks awesome! The Shire - um no.

Cheers,

MA

Yes Thanksforallthefish and I have been members of the Frogdive club for many years. They are a great group but we are also looking to join St. George. I attended one of their dive meets on Michael's invitation and found them very friendly with a lot of experienced divers in our age bracket. Nothing wrong with joining both:)

Back
Top Bottom