Entry level computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pixiestyx

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm looking for advice or recommendations for a dive computer on the low end of the price range. I have looked at the Zoop, Puck, and sub leonardo. Having only one button seems less "easy to use" than multiple buttons so any experiences with that would be helpful as well.

I take your mention of "one button, easy to use" as near and dear to my heart.

I have maybe three computers that baffle my elderly sensibilities.

The "puck" is the go-to rental unit for obvious reasons. I would steer you towards nitrox compatible, for as simple as you anticipate your diving to evolve- you're probably at least going to get into that realm of advancement.

There is something to be said for more advanced machines, they can be upgraded, downloaded and all that stuff. But if you really want simple, keep it that way. A simple puck will always be a great back-up computer on down the road if and when you decide to go higher technology.

All dive computers are dive computers. Some you can modify in terms of tighter constraints or more liberal. The biggest difference may well be the readability of the screen. In your case, at least my guess- is that the depth reading should be a key. Can you read the data u/w with your current eyes and mask without lenses? Something to think about.

Shop eBay.

I also say Mares PUCK, i love mine. Im not so smart and with refreshing myself with it before each vacation dive with it i can figure it out and make it work, price was right [gift from my wife but i know they arent very expensive] . Ive never used any other but if another would be remotely harder to use , and i hear most are, i wouldn't want to deal with or probably not be able with it . You can get a computer thingy/instruction video when you buy it for about 5 buck that helps you get started with it, well worth it. Good Luck.

The Suunto computers are considered very conservative, so it will give you a little les bottom tome. It was mentioned in an earlier post, I would make sure to get nitrox compatible. The Zoop is nitrox compatible and price pointed for a good computer at entry level price.

I bought a zoop about three years ago and found it to be fine computer although it is a bit conservative. If I had it to do over again, I would have chose a computer with a gauge mode so that I could use it as a back up for technical training.

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for advice or recommendations for a dive computer on the low end of the price range. I have looked at the Zoop, Puck, and sub leonardo. Having only one button seems less "easy to use" than multiple buttons so any experiences with that would be helpful as well.Thanks :)
As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as entry level computer. Expensive computers mean they offered more functions than you ever need.
Puck(+) or Zoop will do. Leonardo is a bit more expensive probably because of choice 4 different colours and gauge mode.
Hollis DG3 is good value but do you really need 3 mixes for rec dive? If you become a tec diver later you might want something completely different.

Zoop is an excellent entry-level computer. If it had gauge-mode, it'd be the perfect long-term investment (would work right up through tech training levels). That said, potential progression to tech diving shouldn't feature as any sort of priority on a novice diver's list of desired functionality.

People talk like conservatism is a bad thing?!? It keeps you more insulated from the risk of DCI... and that's important, especially at the entry-level. RGBM is a well proven algorithm, that keeps many (the majority?) of divers safe. Bottom time can easily be extended by other means (nitrox, deco etc), rather than cutting closer to m-values or disregarding the importance of residual nitrogen over repetitive/multi-day dives...

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for advice or recommendations for a dive computer on the low end of the price range. I have looked at the Zoop, Puck, and sub leonardo. Having only one button seems less "easy to use" than multiple buttons so any experiences with that would be helpful as well.

Consider the Scubapro/SubGear/ Uwatec XP-10. Great value for the price!

Back
Top Bottom