Video editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronscuba, thank you very much in all that you have posted thus far. So with that said....I understand Now the need for a pink filter vice a red filter. Since reading your post I have looked really deep into a pink filter. Funny that I posted prior to reading your postings, asking if anyone is using the magenta (pink) filter made for the Intova SP for fresh water. No replies thus far. So, as I understand it in the shallow depths, you use the filter but in the deeper depths when using light then you remove the filter. Correct? I believe that I can get away with the magenta pink) filter for both fresh or salt water. Now what is you take on filters in gin clear water in caves with lights? No filter? Thanks again for your valued assistance! Almost forgot to ask...frames per second. I thought that you will get better quality with lower FPS but in videos it will be very jerky. So what do you reccommend?
To the OP, make sure that your computer's hardware will meet the standards of the editing program than you decide upon. (I have to do an upgrade in order to process all my videos shot on 1080).

I almost always use the filter on day dives. Lights no filter for night dives, caves, overhangs or really deep.

My general rule of thumb, if my own eyes see the colors ok, use the filter no lights. If my eyes say man it's dark, wish I had a light, remove the filter and use lights. There are some occasions where I use lights and filter. Usually dives in the late afternoon. Call it dives where the natural lighting seems in between day and night.

Those Intova filters. I think their "red" filter will work best for blue ocean water. The "magenta" filter looks like it is meant for green lake water.

For FPS, I recommend 60 or 30.

Last edited:
thanks Ron and that was what I thought. Now what exactly drives you to sometimes 30 and sometimes 60 fps? I am guessing stills from video 30 and for just videos 60. Am I close?

thanks Ron and that was what I thought. Now what exactly drives you to sometimes 30 and sometimes 60 fps? I am guessing stills from video 30 and for just videos 60. Am I close?

Depending on your camera resolution and the subjects you are shooting. Fast action shots 60 is good because is smooths the movement. For regular shooting 30 will let in more light.

Some cameras will limit the FPS depending on the resolution setting. I want a minimum of 1080p. If you have a GoPro Hero3 black you can shoot 2.7k resolution 30 fps, but if you want 60 fps you need to go down to 1080p.

After all the trials and looking, I decided to purchase Adobe premiere elements 11. It's a brilliant piece of software, it's helped to save my videos with it's colour correction feature. It's great for editing as well.
Thank you all once again, I've also purchased my Bastard pink filter so look forward to filming again and seeing the results.

There are obviously any number of reasonable alternatives for working with videos, be they underwater or above. After lots of experimentation, I finally settled on ProShow Gold from Photodex. I had already been using it to put together my 'trip travel logs' using still photography and really liked it. Here a couple of years ago, when I began shooting video as a part of my work, I found that the built-in video features with ProShow could handle everything I needed to do... edit, speed, zoom, crop, and more. Here's a link to a short little piece I put together after a recent trip to Little Cayman: [url]http://youtu.be/W7KLxs3HqQo[/URL] I used Photoshop Elements to edit the still shots but otherwise, ProShow handled everything else including audio. The full version is $69.95, pretty reasonable in today's market. They have the 'free trial' version for 30 days that's full-featured but places a watermark at the bottom of the screen. Publishes directly online sites such as Youtube as well as burned to DVD, etc.

After all the trials and looking, I decided to purchase Adobe premiere elements 11. It's a brilliant piece of software, it's helped to save my videos with it's colour correction feature. It's great for editing as well.
Thank you all once again, I've also purchased my Bastard pink filter so look forward to filming again and seeing the results.

I think you made a wise choice. I have been using Adobe Premiere for about 15 years. The Elements 11 version handles 1080p very well and does a good job on color correction. The only downfall is the speed of rendering when you apply stabilization. Of course the best stabilization is a steady hand and SLOW SLOW movement of the camcorder. For some examples on how I have used Premiere you can look at my scuba videos on youtube, just search for drmark920.
Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom